The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Engine Conversions Advice, questions, and tips for 1200, 1250, 1340, 1450 etc... for Sportster and Buell motorcycle engine conversions

Members Birthdays
hdbabe49 (65), gene405 (58), hongkong076 (44), whispanic (34)
Ironworks Magazine
Fix My Hog
Lowbrow Customs
Bison Motorsports

Foxcreek Leather
Tags
1250, big bore, conversion, evo

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th March 2009
Savant?

Sportster/Buell Model: rigid 88" highly modified
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: iforgot
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80's
Other Motorcycle Model: crs
Other Motorcycle Year: 80's
wilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to beholdwilbur is a splendid one to behold

Again...
check your bottom end before you dump money on top! It's critical...
Old 25th March 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1984
NC_REDNECK_1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the advice. i will be sure to check the bottom end. i am leaning towards boring my jugs to .040 with v4 cams and try to find a set of thunderstorm heads. anyone know how much hp and torque i would be looking at doing this build?
Old 26th March 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 89
xlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura about

Thunderstorm heads REQUIRE thunderstorm pistons for true performance gain.

I had v4 with the TS set up, a Super E carb, Dyna ign and Bassani Pro Streets. Got me 83 HP and 79 TQ.

TS likes Higher RPM for it's power.

You can have your heads ported for better low end TQ for about the same cost as the TS heads off Ebay.

Alot of power comes from your exhaust. Your drag pipes are hurting you, unless you run WOT everywhere.
Old 26th March 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLA
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: FL
Other Motorcycle Year: 1961
Oklahoma is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been thinking about this type of upgrade for a 91 1200 I have. Thanks for all the good advice. NC Redneck post your updates when you do the job I'd be interested in what you do.
Old 30th March 2009
Know It All

ok i checked the bottom end and nothing wrong down there . i just bought a set of thunderstorm heads and wiseco pistons .040 over to match the thunderstorm heads, now for cam selection i have been looking and comparing andrews v4 and v8 cams.has anyone ever compared the cams and which one would be a better choice. i dont run wot all the time but i do run the hell out of it . i see the v8 cams have more exhaust duration than the v4 cams. how would these do on the street?
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th March 2009
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_REDNECK_1981 View Post
ok i checked the bottom end and nothing wrong down there . i just bought a set of thunderstorm heads and wiseco pistons .040 over to match the thunderstorm heads, now for cam selection i have been looking and comparing andrews v4 and v8 cams.has anyone ever compared the cams and which one would be a better choice. i dont run wot all the time but i do run the hell out of it . i see the v8 cams have more exhaust duration than the v4 cams. how would these do on the street?
I've asked this question numerous times, and it appears the best choice is the V4 (mine is N4 because of the year) The little bit of exhaust duration isn't that big of a factor without a lot more engine mods.

The V4 or Screaming Eagle .497 (almost identical) are a great choice for all around use and will pull up to 6500 rpm's

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 30th March 2009
Know It All

the reason i asked is because i found a set of v8 cams for $269. would it hurt or help to get these? or would they perform the same as the v4 cams?
Old 30th March 2009
Know It All

nevermind. i didnt read the last post right.i will keep looking for a set of v4 cams maybe i can find a deal on a set
Old 30th March 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 89
xlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura about

Do you plan on doing any more to the bike? Something like stage II head porting.

If you are, then consider a larger cam than a V4

If you plan on leaving it alone, get the V4. (I had this set up and it works well)

Now if you check the classifieds in here, someone was selling SE 536's for a 4 spd, (with springs I think) for $200 NEW.

That's another good combo. Actually am pretty sure that's what Buell installed from the factory. They should still bolt in with no mods needed. Just double check to be sure...
Old 30th March 2009
Know It All

i plan on having the heads ported and polished,as well as polishing the intake. i want her to breathe.
Know Thy Hog