The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Custom Finishing Here is where you can discuss various ways of customizing your Sportster motorcycle or Buell motorcycle.

Members Birthdays
motobraz, dwr302, xlchjoe (60), rider31 (54), Viper (42), KJcrownRRdriver (42), krafty (38), EezyE (37), SmokeyXL (34)
Foxcreek Leather
Bison Motorsports
Get Lowered
S&S Cycle

Fix My Hog

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: custom build 1200cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 98
cfl4rat is on a distinguished roadcfl4rat is on a distinguished roadcfl4rat is on a distinguished roadcfl4rat is on a distinguished road
Default How To Seal, Protect Bare Metal????

I'V BEEN THINKING ABOUT TAKING A SANDER TO THE FRAME AND SHEET METAL. TO GIVE IT THAT SHINY SWIRLING AFFECT. THAN HAVE MY TATTOO ARTIST DO SOME OLD SCHOOL HOT ROD PIN STRIPPING ON IT, BUT I'LL NEED TO KEEP IT FROM RUSTING. A REGULAR CLEAR WON'T ADHEAR TO BARE METAL SO ANYBODY KNOW WHAT I CAN USE??? ALSO TAKE A LOOK @ MY BIKE AND TELL ME IF YOU THINK THAT FINISH WOULD LOOK OK, OR LIKE POO.
Old 29th January 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
wagondog has disabled reputation

Paint And Flames

Jerry
Old 29th January 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: FXDL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Honda ST1300
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB1100F (Two)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
bmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura about

Go to an automotive paint store and they can provide a treatment for bare metal that allows clear coat to stick to it. It comes in a rattle can.

I'm not at home or I'd be able to give you a brand name.

2008 Gold Wing
2007 HD FXDL
1998 Blackbird
1983 CB1100F
Old 29th January 2007
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice RE frame!!!!!!!!!! did they make the springer also? looks kewl as hell.

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

The wind, weather, and two wheels...what else do you need??
Old 29th January 2007
Greasemonkey

cfl4rat is on a distinguished roadcfl4rat is on a distinguished roadcfl4rat is on a distinguished roadcfl4rat is on a distinguished road

THANKS!! yes the springer is from redneck. hey Dennis is you can get me the name of that stuff it would be great.., no rush.thanks
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th January 2007
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough

What Jerry said. Nice sprocket/disc! Right leg might get a bit toasty at lights!
Matt
Old 30th January 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Dyna Wide Glide
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
oakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura about

Sweet bike..Looks good as it is to me...

[url=http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1778][B][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]View My Gallery[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/URL]
[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/oakie10us/bothbikesnewcopy.jpg[/IMG]
Old 31st January 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
settintrendz is an unknown quantity at this point

we do alot of bare metal stuff. yea, they sell adhesion promotor for bare metal, but the problem with steel is that if you touch it at all with your hands, you'll have little rust fingerprints under the clear within a week. i'd chemical strip the frame, clean it really good, do your swirl marks, blow it off with clen/ dry air(if you wipe it down at this point, little lints will stick to the swirlies), spray your adhesion promotor and or clear primer, then clear.
Old 31st January 2007
Greasemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by settintrendz View Post
we do alot of bare metal stuff. yea, they sell adhesion promotor for bare metal, but the problem with steel is that if you touch it at all with your hands, you'll have little rust fingerprints under the clear within a week. i'd chemical strip the frame, clean it really good, do your swirl marks, blow it off with clen/ dry air(if you wipe it down at this point, little lints will stick to the swirlies), spray your adhesion promotor and or clear primer, then clear.
Thanks!
Old 31st January 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: FXDL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Honda ST1300
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB1100F (Two)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
bmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura about

I thought I posted the product last night, but I don't see it today. Its called Bulldog Adhesion Promoter and its made by Klean Strip. Any auto paint store should stock it or something similar. I haven't used it on bare metal, but it sounds like the oil in your hands are what causes the problem. Use latex gloves when handling it after you've used the sander on it.
Know Thy Hog