The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
Ironworks Magazine
Burly
Energy One Clutches

Bison Motorsports

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom build,
Sportster/Buell Year: 09
criio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the rough

Feel free to add your tips (things to look at during initial inspection) on buying a used sporty besides just checking tires and chain, feel free to add era specific info too.

I wish I had x-ray vision to check out the bearings and cams on used bikes!
I am thinking of getting a 1986 883 bike to chop up for a charity build/raffle (http://www.picturebridal.com/casterfund.html)
I am not sure but I will probably have to crack the case. One thing that holds me back is that the mileage is unknown!

One thing I bring is a magnet to dip in the oil tank! and always check the gas tank.
Old 28th March 2009
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R80ST
Other Motorcycle Year: 1984
DEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant futureDEEP DIVER has a brilliant future

Check out the swingarm play, and headstock play.
Also look to see if the wiring harness has been hacked about [wires added into it, how well was it done?]
Fork slider play, worn bushs or sliders?
Old 28th March 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

I would do a compression check and maybe a compression leakdown test. You might also take off the drive pulley cover and check for side play in the output shaft. If it is badly worn it should leak here also which would indicate a LOT of miles or some really hard miles.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil
Old 28th March 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, it only takes a minute to look at the brake fluid, and check tire pressure if only to see if the seller bothered, checking on the sidewalls could indicate neglect as well as age.
Old 28th March 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom build,
Sportster/Buell Year: 09
criio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the roughcriio1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterT View Post
I would do a compression check and maybe a compression leakdown test. You might also take off the drive pulley cover and check for side play in the output shaft. If it is badly worn it should leak here also which would indicate a LOT of miles or some really hard miles.

not a bad idea. but if i was selling a bike and someone showed up with a compression meter i would be puzzled!

Ride Hard
Know Thy Hog

Old 28th March 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 88
hmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to beholdhmiller is a splendid one to behold

I don't know about pulling covers to check play or doing a leak down test, but I've checked the compression on bikes and cars before, usually the seller knows something about motors and understands. If they don't want me to pull the plugs, theres usually a reason.
Old 28th March 2009
Super Moderacer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant futureracerwill has a brilliant future

when I'm looking at a used car or bike I look for new stuff..... I would rather see older but good plugs/ wires/ filters/ oil ect., it shows how the bike has been taken care of and ridden..... If someone just freshened it up that might indicate someone has been chasing a problem and they just gave up......especially if you see new engine gaskets and stuff like that.....

start it up and get it warm.... take it for a ride, if it looks and sounds and rides okay.... it probably is

Ww

Blue Locktite..... I put that sh*t on everything.....

"never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

"All The Way"

Last edited by racerwill; 29th March 2009 at 04:31..
Old 28th March 2009
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Depends on the bike, really....age, condition, miles...

I WOULD keep a compression gauge handy, just in case....but I'd only break that out if I was suspicious, or if the bike didn't run, but would turn over......

Most good points have already been covered....

I REALLY like the "magnet in the oil tank" idea.....never thought of that!

IMHO, nothing will tell you more about a bike than a test ride...even listening to it idle will tell you a lot about the engine itself.......

Even if the owner is nervous about letting you ride it (understandable, unless you insured it yourself in advance, like I did on my last bike purchase ), I'd roll it and shift thru all the gears, just to make sure all seemed ok in THAT area...

I never tried it myself, but I think carfax will do motorcycles, as well....not a terrible idea...

I bought both of my last 2 Sportsters used, and was able to ride them first...that, fluid conditions and service records (even hand-written) told me all I needed to know....

BTW, I thought this was a GREAT thread, so I made it a sticky....

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 29th March 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Seedless is on a distinguished roadSeedless is on a distinguished roadSeedless is on a distinguished road
Default Used bike evaluation guide

Not sure if this has been linked before...but pretty good as far as a used bike evaluation guide. I read it a couple times before I really began shopping for my sporty. Worth the read.

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

Seeds
Old 29th March 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlc 1200 sportster
daggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to all

from personal experience, from now on i will rub my finger along the inside of the pipes. oil/gunk type build up. deffinet way of tellin if the bike is burinin oil. for me it was valve seals.