The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum CV Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > OFF TOPIC > Gun Talk
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Gun Talk Talk about guns and gun related issues.

Members Birthdays
go2fast (61), SixMilesFromHell (56), thespis (56), julian (52), chopperdave (50), shawn4057 (42), KC_Sporty_Gal (40), david04883 (32)
RYCA Motors
DK Customs
Figure Machine
DK Customs

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Sold
jaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the roughjaws is a jewel in the rough
Default Stopping power

So what is everyones favorite round? It seems everyone likes the .45ACP any takers for the .40SW?
Old 2nd February 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 883 Deluxe
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Terry C. is on a distinguished roadTerry C. is on a distinguished roadTerry C. is on a distinguished roadTerry C. is on a distinguished road

I'm a throwback, I like the .357 Magnum.
Old 3rd February 2007
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Lightning is on a distinguished roadLightning is on a distinguished roadLightning is on a distinguished road

44 magnum stops things well
Old 3rd February 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Other Motorcycle Model: Mustang GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
XL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura about

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I still like my 9mm's. Specifically, I like that I can fit an extra round or two in there. I find myself more accurate with it too, and a properly placed .22 will do more damage than a .50 that whizzes past an earlobe.
Old 3rd February 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Ghugly has disabled reputation

If I could only have one pistol, .357 mag would be my choice. I like plinking with .38 wadcutters and full house .357's are flat shooting and hard hitting.

Old 5th February 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: '99
Other Motorcycle Model: Not yet!
hybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enoughhybriDatsun350 will become famous soon enough

.44 mag's and .357's go right through a body. You want something that stops inside of the target. Such as a .40 or a .45 would. I favor the .45 ACP personally. The U.S. military used it for 70 something years for a reason.

1999 XLH1200, Vivid Black....Trimmed cam cover, Thunderheader, Ram Flo 400, Pingel petcock, forward controls, black drag bars w/4.5" pullback risers, relocated front turn signals, Progressive fork springs, 4-piston HD front caliper, and a bunch of black powdercoated stuff!

[U]Click to Enlarge[/U]
[URL=http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4504798][img]http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/1/1212393091.jpg[/img][/URL]
Old 5th February 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
jalldredge is on a distinguished roadjalldredge is on a distinguished roadjalldredge is on a distinguished roadjalldredge is on a distinguished roadjalldredge is on a distinguished road

When you talk about stopping power it is relevant only to a specific stuation involving the firearm and its associated measurements, the cartridge and how it is loaded, distance and angles to the target, and the target itself. the big, 454, various mid 4 calibers and 500 mags are very powerful. Though I don't fancy killing an rhino with them. There are thousands of different scenarios.

I'll just take it that you are refering to a person as a target. Are you talking about one of us over weight yank's or central African refugee? Just like anything else. it is benificial to "load" for the target specific. Some will say that the 44mag is overkill on people. Not if has the right bullet. I really like 185gr jacket hollow cores for things up to about 200 pounds under 75 yards. There is complete energy transfer. massive trauma and i've never shot twice. This is on mostly four legged man sized beasts.

But even the handgun itself makes a difference. My preffered 44mag is a Dan Wesson, 8" barrel with power ports. Not easily concealable.
To follow Ghugly 357 and 38, the same can be said for 44mags and 44specials, 32 H&R and 32 longs, etc.

I really like 10mm. I just can't find the pistol that fits me well, I would really like a single stack para-ordnance full sized LDA.(it only takes money) So I carry 40. or a 38 or 9mm depending on where I venture forth.
Old 6th February 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200xl
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 mustang 302hipo
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: sporty in pieces
risotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the roughrisotteria is a jewel in the rough

a gaping chest wound is the best deterent to crime reguardless of the round...pow
Old 6th February 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 2002 883
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2004 883
Other Motorcycle Model: TRI ROCKET 111
c pierce has disabled reputation

If your going to carry conceled the 40 or 45 in a compact is the way to go.
Old 6th February 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200 Real School Chop
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBR600
Other Motorcycle Year: 89
Sportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the rough

45-70 with a 300 grn bullet. Stops anything.

Short of a shotgun seems to be the most effective way to drop someone. If you can't do it in 5 shots you shouldn't have come.

Great rifle cartridge as well, ammunition available anywhere.

Kong