The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Burly  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Energy One Clutches
Fix My Hog
Get Lowered
Figure Machine

NHRS Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd April 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: Motomel X3M 125
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
krono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Oil leak in my 2008 1200 C

Well, my 2008 XL 1200 C started to leak oil from the rear cylinder, on the top

Is a small leak.

Im wondering : a) how I fix this, b) it is related to my mods?

My mods are: SE SP (with drilled core), and a PC III with a rich map, also the spark plugs show that the bike is running pretty ok, mostly on the rich side.

Well, the pic

Do you think that the Power Commander III USB had something to do with this leak? I do not ride hard the bike, has about 10,000 km on it, mostly on open roads (I was following the Dakar Rally during the summer).

note: Im in Argentina, we have 1 dealer, and is like 650 km from were Im right now... so Im quite up with this... also this machine is exotic here so most indies have never seen a Harley in person in their lives...

Last edited by Folkie; 2nd December 2011 at 23:22.. Reason: Language
Old 3rd April 2009
Proud 2000 XLH 1430 Owner

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1430
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: Piaggio X9 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
AussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really niceAussieGazza is just really nice

I don't think that your mods have caused a problem.
Leaks in the rocker boxes are very common.
Is it just above the cylinder or the rocker cover on the very top??
Top cover is very easy to fix it yourself. Get new gaskets and a manual.
Bottom rocker box itself pretty involved. Check the manual and decide whether you want to do it.
Could also try torqueing up to spec to see if it fixes the problem before changing the gaskets.
Good luck.

I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are missing (but on order from EBay).

Supertrapp 2-1 with 18 plates and closed end cap, 11.5" 412 Progressive with Heavy Duty springs and Progressive fork springs. Mikuni 45carb/SE 44 manifold. NRHS 88" with Stage 2 ported 04 heads with 15 degree squish band, SE .536 cams, crane roller rockers and lifters, NRHS Hurricane Adj Pushrods and Collapsible Covers. Ultima prog ign. 180 main jet, 3 turns, 20 idle jet and 97 needle at 3rd notch. AIM 240 Clutch. LRB Z Plus Brake Pads on dual front brakes. Kuryakyn Boss Blade Levers + Forcewinder XR A/C.
Old 3rd April 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: 883<1222 Revtech springs
Sportster/Buell Year: 93
ernofsteel is on a distinguished roadernofsteel is on a distinguished roadernofsteel is on a distinguished road

wow that sux krono, i had my base gaskets leaking after 18 thou miles but thats really common on 90s HD cuz of poor engineering. don't really know but i'll keep reading yer post to see possible answers bro.

Last edited by cantolina; 3rd April 2009 at 16:52.. Reason: removed political content
Old 3rd April 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: Motomel X3M 125
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
krono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of lightkrono is a glorious beacon of light

Uh seems that it is just above the cylinder ...
Thanks for the answers!
Old 3rd April 2009
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

I would say that is a rocker box leak for sure. Have your dealer fix it under warranty as there have been lots of 07s and up that the rocker box bolts are loose from the factory. they need to check it.
www.nrhsperformance.com

Taking down the competition one Bonneville record at a time!!
Know Thy Hog