The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Biltwell
RYCA Motors
Energy One Clutches
Bison Motorsports

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
jefyjay has disabled reputation
Default Primary temp?

I have a 74 Ironhead and I was just wondering how hot the primary cover gets on your ironhead? Just reach down next time you ride and let me know if its warm, hot, or hotter than sh#$!! thanx jeff
Old 18th February 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Kozak is on a distinguished roadKozak is on a distinguished roadKozak is on a distinguished road

Wow, with temps in the 20's it'll be awhile.
Old 19th February 2007
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Never noticed a heat problem with the p cover. But i can burn my leg on the oil tank, even with an oil cooler running.
Old 19th February 2007
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough

I think people feel pain at about 160* F. That's not real warm for a primary cover.
Matt
Old 19th February 2007
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH (ironhead)
Sportster/Buell Year: '77
Other Motorcycle Model: Sold it!!
dabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura about

I don't think most of the heat in the primary is generated there. It migrates from the business side of the engine.

Old 19th February 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
jefyjay has disabled reputation

Ok, so let me explain what happened! I was riding a few days ago and got the bike very hot in traffic. Once I hit the open road I took off and it started to bog down so I pulled over and the oil level was very high!( to the top of my horseshoe tank) So I dumped out a little and rode the rest of the way home. I reached down and touched the primary for the first time and it was hotter than sh#$!! If the oil gets too full in the tank and the top two oil lines are submerged, where does the oil go??? I hope this run-on sentence makes sence.....jeff
Old 19th February 2007
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH (ironhead)
Sportster/Buell Year: '77
Other Motorcycle Model: Sold it!!
dabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura aboutdabronco has a spectacular aura about

I would check to see if the pressure side of yer oil pump is working. Pull one of your rocker plugs and see if oil pumps out while cranking. As for your primary, how's the oil level?
Old 20th February 2007
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Two possibilities:

On some years of the older ironheads there is a connection between the engine oil and primary oil; they can mix in there.

Is it possible you added engine oil thinking it was low when in fact it was at the correct level? When a bike sits for a while the oil migrates past the oil pump check valve and appears to be low, but it not.