The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
883 Sportster
Biltwell
RYCA Motors
Superbrace

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Springer Classic
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Concours 14
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
jeeplite has disabled reputation
Default Headlight fairing vs. 3/4 fairing or larger

I have the headlight fairing and while providing a nice "hood" for my speedo an tach, not diverting any wind off the head(hemet). Over 70mph and strain on the neck sets in. I like the cafe look so I won't be going to the big flat and clear windshield although I would like to know if it blocks hemet buffeting? Does anyone out there have the 3/4 and how does it work for you?
Old 19th February 2007
JESTER Mafia-Hooligan Div

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
BWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond reputeBWP 5p has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean this one....HD calls it a 1/4 fairing. It does a great job at highway and above speeds. Makes the high speed (70 and Up) much nicer!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...50_54_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...50_69_full.jpg

Stuff: YES
Old 19th February 2007
Biker

bikerbill has disabled reputation

Omar makes a nice 1/4 fairing, however, will need to go to a 7 or 8 inch headlight. I think by typing in Omar's vintage fairings will get you the site. Also may try airtech site.
Old 19th February 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Springer Classic
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Concours 14
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
jeeplite has disabled reputation

Yes, thats the one, looks like a great touring screen. The headlight fairing I have was called "Rocketeer" on the labeling.
The 1/4 fairing (not 3/4 fairing, I mis-spoke) doesn't look as bulky as I could see from the catalog pictures, looks like a good 4 to 5 inches higher than mine. Perfect, good look that sheds the wind, thanks.
Old 19th February 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
AZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished roadAZbiker is on a distinguished road

For comfort on long trips, try this: Put your feet on the passenger pegs and tilt your torso forward. Let the wind hold your head up and relax your neck muscles. The wind will bounce your head around a little bit, but I don't think it's a big deal. It sounds to me like you're trying to fight the wind.
Know Thy Hog

Old 19th February 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

The H-D 1/4 fairing also allows for the windscreen to be raised a little bit, through the use of a second set of mounting holes. Coupled with a slightly lower bar, it can make quite a difference in highway protection. Quick disconnect docking clamps allow for removal or installation in seconds.
Old 19th February 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

I'm in the process of adding the Ness fairing.....

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 20th February 2007

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw a Sportster, or perhaps a Dyna with an old Vetters Phantom faring, if you are not familiar with the Phantom do a Google search on it.

Anyway, the bike looked fantastic. Don't believe you'd ever find one today, they didn't make many of them. Back in the early 70s I was fortunate enough to run across one that I put on a Norton.

But I gotta tell you a fairing on a sportster just doesn't sound right, I have a quick release windshield that I use at particular times during the year. It ain't perfect but it has its moments.
Old 21st February 2007

Default Vetter Phantom Fairing

I found a picture of that Vetter Phanton Fairing

Last edited by Gone; 1st June 2007 at 15:06..
Old 21st February 2007
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Grumpy will become famous soon enoughGrumpy will become famous soon enoughGrumpy will become famous soon enoughGrumpy will become famous soon enoughGrumpy will become famous soon enoughGrumpy will become famous soon enough

That Vetter fairing looks good.
Know Thy Hog