The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End Cams, Cases, Gears, Flywheel, Piston Conecting Rods, Oil Pump, etc...

Members Birthdays
yeller1200, IronMick (72), painter (65), motobob883 (62), rickxx (60), MRCLEEN (42), Wetcheez (41)
DK Customs
DK Customs
Superbrace.com
Ironworks Magazine

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2007
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 06 Redneck Mutant
wildwill8 is on a distinguished roadwildwill8 is on a distinguished roadwildwill8 is on a distinguished road
Default No run just loud back fire

No run just loud back fire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok trying fire up my mutant for the 1st time I installed new cams 1250 kit and heads running a crane hi 4 race and all I am getting is a Loud back fire out the pipe I have set up the time and few times thinking that it was off pulled the cam cover off think the cams off but they are lined up thought maybe it was a 180 off but move the wire around did not help so Now I am stuck Helppppppppppppppppp

Here is a pic of the cams

Old 21st February 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

bumpin' you back up for some help.....

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 21st February 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't you using a s&s. need some carb info.
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.
Old 21st February 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Takingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of lightTakingabreak is a glorious beacon of light

Hi.

I would put the cam cover back on and do a compression test.
ASSUMING it checks out ok, then you need to look at the Ignition, it is either out of time or defective.

Unless you have the spark plug wires on Backwards.
(That's what I have my money on.)
Old 21st February 2007
Drag Race Champion

wildwill8 is on a distinguished roadwildwill8 is on a distinguished roadwildwill8 is on a distinguished road

Here is what I have done Check for spark got spark thought maybe I had the plug wire on backward changed them around geting fuel cuase she shots a big blue flame out the pipe I am going put it back togetter tomorrow I broke the gasket so got to get a new one and I am going to check the compresson I got the rockers back on the see if it has compreeson I check it with out the vavles opening and it is working that away so I get get the rockers back on and let you know from their. and RR I am running a Super E carb.
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st February 2007
Drag Race Champion

Ok I just put on the rear rocker back on and I am not getting any compreeson the gage I have does not got very low it start read around 25 but when I hit the button the release the PSI I can hear any thing.
Old 21st February 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883/1250 Stage3
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S1 White Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1300S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
cjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nice

I could be wrong but I think the Buell cams are clocked different from the Sportster for some reason. Did you get Buell specific cams ?? I think I read it on the NRHS site, I'll see if I can find it.
Old 21st February 2007
Drag Race Champion

them motor is a 95 buell but it is the samething as the sporty motor for that year.
Old 21st February 2007
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
HDandME will become famous soon enoughHDandME will become famous soon enoughHDandME will become famous soon enoughHDandME will become famous soon enoughHDandME will become famous soon enoughHDandME will become famous soon enoughHDandME will become famous soon enoughHDandME will become famous soon enough

Only places pressure can escape is out the valves or past the rings.
Check valve seats possibly? Did you visually watch the engine go through all 4 cycles? IE, set piston at TDC, watch intake open as piston drops,etc etc. I don't know much about the harley engines specifically, but generally speaking on motors, there really isn't a huge list that would cause 0 compression. Especially after a fresh build.

Good luck
Old 21st February 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

.295 .68 should be about right on the jetting. Choke it full to start.
Know Thy Hog