The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
Get Lowered
Foxcreek Leather
Motor Stage
Speedway Instruments

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura aboutstevo has a spectacular aura about
Default RTF ...Brake bleeding 101

OK guys seein as this is comin up too often.....here's a few tricks

The vacuum thingos are OK but I have one and don't use it.....not worth setting it up..

Before ya start crack the bleeder nipple with a ring spanner or socket ..... DO NOT use an open ended spanner...

Place the spanner on the nut and then put a length of hose over the nipple...I prefer clear hose and battery overflow hose works well.

Turn the handlebars to the left so the master cylinder is high.....it may be nesc to undo the master cyl a touch and move it around so that it is close to level fore and aft and the lever side needs to be higher than the outlet....

Take the cap off the master cylinder

If you are just changing fluid then pull the lever in slowly (if ya do it quickly it will squirt upwards...and wrap some rags oveer everything close while ya at it)
crack the the bleeder nipple slightly and pull the lever all the way in..

Nip the bleeder up BEFORE ya release the lever or ya just got air in there.

repeat untill the master cyl is ALMOST empty.....

then get a rag and clean the master cyl out...spotless....

pour in some new fluid and repeat the bleed...untill new fluid is coming out of the other end...you will have to top up the master cyl a few times..

Now if eveerything goes well...tighten the nipple up and check ya got good lever..and ya should be fine..

If you replace the line or get air in the system then this is where the position of the master cyl comes in handy...

set up the bleeder nipple and hose and spanner like I said to start with and fill the master cyl with new fluid

as you pull the lever in slowly it will close off the bleed port and then start to compress the fluid in the line...

if you have air in the line then "tickle" the lever lightly between these two points... you wil see air bubbles come out....

Keep ticklin and alternately pulling the lever in all the way and cracking the bleed nipple as in the first stage....ya want about half a dozen tickles for each couple of full throws....

As you start to get a bit of lever but still have air... tap the line all the way up it as you tickle the lever....the cross over piece under the bottom tree is a real pain if ya got dual discs...

Keep repeating untill ya got it....as it takes a bit of feel

I can do a fluid change in about 10 minutes...so it just takes practice

Last edited by stevo; 27th March 2005 at 03:37..
Old 27th March 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHTCU
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
txsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished roadtxsporty is on a distinguished road

Great write Stevo!!!
Old 4th July 2005
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
misterwizard1 is an unknown quantity at this point

On the front brake, I just wiggle the brake lever until the bubbles are out and I have a good lever. Did this when I installed braided cables and front brake line. Never opened the bleeder on the caliper.
Mike
2004 XL1200C, Mag front with Avon Venom X. 160 Metzler on back. Stage 1 w/ round air filter, detachable sides with sissy. Ghost Brackets w/ leather covered hard bags. Relocated rear turns w/ HD brakelight module, Mini-apes, ISO grips with rocker, trim on front fender, batt cover, oil tank cover, temp dip stick. 05 headlight w/modulator on high, Kuri silver bullets front. Polished SuperBrace, AMSOIL.
Wizard
Mavericks MC
MFFM
Old 25th June 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
sportsterman99 has disabled reputation

insatall a clear line on the brake bleeder fill with dot 5 fluid open bleeder take an airline force the fluid up and presto you have brakes.
Old 30th August 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
zbaber is on a distinguished roadzbaber is on a distinguished roadzbaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterman99 View Post
insatall a clear line on the brake bleeder fill with dot 5 fluid open bleeder take an airline force the fluid up and presto you have brakes.
this works great if you use a lower pressure source (tire pump, or something like it)... i've done it to multiple motorcycles, 4 wheelers, and dirtbikes. so much faster.

Old 18th June 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C (1235 Conv)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
KC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the rough

What diameter hose fits over the nipple?

[IMG]http://www.mytriplogs.com/sigs/mtl_create_us_states_map.php?rz=75&vu=uvuvvvuuuuuuvvvvvuuuuuuvuvvvvuuuuuvvvvuuuvuvvuuvuvv[/IMG]

[B]"Ruth"[/B] '05 XL883C -> 1212 -> 1235 (don't ask) - Pearl Yellow
Progressive Fork Springs, Progressive 412s w/ heavy duty springs, 883 -> 1200 NRHS conversion (at 1235 Now), Daytona Twin Tec Ignition, Hurricane AC
Old 18th June 2010
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C (1235 Conv)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
KC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the roughKC_Sporty_Gal is a jewel in the rough

Anyone have an answer? Need to get some air out of my lines. Squishy back brake. On my iPhone... Sorry for not searching more... Need to get dot 5 and clear tube on way home from work.
Old 26th April 2011
Knows a thing or two

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud ofSporting Lad has much to be proud of
Arrow Reply to urgent request...

You need(ed) 5/16" I.D. plastic tubing.
I hope this message reaches you in time....
Good luck.
Wiseco K1655s; Joker Machine AC; SE 'SP' muffs w/ Cycle Shack baffles; OEM SHOCKS on Tamarack -1" blocks; Metz 880s (110x19; 160x15) on laced wheels; Progressive fork springs; 4.5 gal tank; ReddTigger Mod Gauge Mount System...

See thread http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1102057 for a "pictorial history".
Old 26th April 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDBI
Other Motorcycle Year: 06
Horse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to beholdHorse is a splendid one to behold

1/4 id clear line works better. harder to get on but it won't slip off. And to be honest I've never had to touch the lever. simply cracking open the bleeder with the cap off the reservoir has always resulted in the fluid gravity bleeding. I'm a big believer in the vaccum pump for the rear though, otherwise it can turn into a fiasco quick with the slightest mistake.
Old 26th April 2011
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2012
Loner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud ofLoner has much to be proud of

when I use the clear tubing I put a zip tie on just tight enough to keep it on the brake bleeder. I also have dual discs up front and I got the speed bleeders don't impress me all that much and I'm coming up due for a fluid change front and back.