The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
Bison Motorsports
Lowbrow Customs
Sky Smith Insurance
Motor Stage

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Electra Glide Standard
Other Motorcycle Year: 2007
Mohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the roughMohntonite is a jewel in the rough
Default Rewiring after taillight removed (how did you do it)

I have removed the taillight and want to go to run, turn, brake, all in my signals. After taking tail light out of fender I noticed that all wiring goes thru that. How did others splice to connect signals and add the run turn brake kit? Were you able to use the connection housing for the tail light and just remount it elsewhere? Any pics, links, or how too, would help. Thanx
Old 23rd February 2007
Super Moderator

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB350 Cafe Style
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
khaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud ofkhaskins has much to be proud of

I need the same info. Chopped a spare fender, bought a sparto taillight and trying to figure out how to procede.

2006 883L
AN Big Sucker Stage 1
Rejetted Carb: Slow 45, Main 175
Vance & Hines Side Shots
Flat Track bars, 4" Joker Machine Risers
Joker Machine Speedo Mount
Speedway Instrument MicroTach
Mid Controls
Lepera Daytona Sport or Lepera Bare Bones Solo
Black Progressive 412 12.5" shocks
Progressive Fork Springs
Knock-off SE Fork Brace
Chopped Rear Fender
Custom Taillight

Ol' Greasy Karl of the Spirit Stalkers MC
Outlaw Name Generator

XLForum Business Card Template

BEFORE YOU CLIMB ON YOUR MOTORCYCLE, CHECK THAT THE NUT THAT CONNECTS THE HANDLEBAR TO THE SEAT IS NEITHER TOO TIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.
Old 23rd February 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Uncledaddy has much to be proud ofUncledaddy has much to be proud ofUncledaddy has much to be proud ofUncledaddy has much to be proud ofUncledaddy has much to be proud ofUncledaddy has much to be proud ofUncledaddy has much to be proud ofUncledaddy has much to be proud ofUncledaddy has much to be proud ofUncledaddy has much to be proud ofUncledaddy has much to be proud of

The turn/brake module plugs in and any wire splicing should be done after it.
To run dual filament turnsignals, you will have to connect the smaller (dimmer) filament wire to the running light wire from the module. The brake/turn wires for the respective sides will connect to the larger (brighter) filament wire. Then there is a common ground from the module also.
Old 23rd February 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
evalea is on a distinguished roadevalea is on a distinguished roadevalea is on a distinguished road

The new 07 nightster runs like that, without a taillight. It may be worth a visit to the parts department to see if there is a new module that runs the system without having to go through the circuitry in the taillight.

I have a run/turn/brake system on mine, but as I have a taillight, I just hooked the module into the rear brake light wiring harness under the seat, which just connected in-between connectors already there.
Old 23rd February 2007
Biker

Moved On is an unknown quantity at this point

You can simply cap off the red and blue wires since you don't have a taillight anymore. The turn signal wires need to be spliced together. Best to use some barrel connectors so that you can take the turn signals off in the future to do work on the bike.

Here's some pics of my under fender wiring with turn signals and a sparto taillight...

Make the male connectors on the harness ground, so you don't short if you ever disconnect the turn signals while working on the bike.

If you use barrel connectors like I did squish some dielectric grease into them to keep any water out.

Good luck man !!!

Gazza
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd February 2007
Biker

khaskins,

There's a little more info specific to sparto hookup in this thread...
http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/foru...=sparto+wiring

Gazza
Old 25th February 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
whittenc is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are a chicken about removing the circuit board (like I was) then all you need to do is trace the wires from the tail light up to under the seat where they connect. From that connection, cut the wires about 9" back toward the tail light and then reattach the plug. You can use the wires you just cut to lengthen the turn signal wires and reattach their plugs.

Once everything is reattached, there is enough space under the frame on the exhaust side to push the circuit board and wires on top of the oil tank. Be sure to use the dielectric grease for a weather tight connection. Good luck!

See my pictures in the "lighting" section for my finished product -- and check out the LED. Luv it!
Old 25th February 2007
Biker

The circuit board does nothing that a good splice can't accomplish. It's just an interconnect board.

Gazza