The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Hammer Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
hardride1955 (59), 91Sportster (52), PSEBYL (51), Aussiegirl (44), FastMag (43)
Hammer Performance
Energy One Clutches
Figure Machine
Sky Smith Insurance

883 Sportster

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH, restored
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH, period hotrod basket
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1961
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDXT (T-sport)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
joestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the roughjoestuff is a jewel in the rough
Default Stupid rear brake question

So I'm used to disk brakes on a dyna glide, I put new rear brakes on the 62 xlch, and everything is adjust correctlly as per manual. But it does not seem right, the pedal seems to move to far. I cannot rotate my foot enough to get full pressure on the brake with my foot on the peg. It seems I will have to take my foot off the peg and use my heel on the pedal to get enough pressure to get some real brake action. Is this just the way it is on the older drum brakes, or should I revist my brake job.

Thanks
Joe
Old 25th February 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

semjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to allsemjpm is a name known to all

Did you center the shoes using the pivot stud?
Also, the rear brakes can be adjusted by backing off the rod's adjuster nut and then jumping the brake pedal up one tooth on the cross linkage.

SEMJPM
Old 26th February 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH Stroker Chop
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH Bobber
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH Project ?????
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
ironhead red has disabled reputation

A drum will never perform like a good disc brake setup, but with proper adjustments, it should work just fine. Alot of big twin drum brakes were hydraulic so they typically worked better than the mechanical sporties. Good luck.

Red