The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Get Lowered
883 Sportster
NRHS
DK Customs

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2005
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
jag1 has disabled reputation
Default overfill oil leak

O.K. I'm going crazy here. I've got an '04 883 Custom and I just got it out from winter storage. I took it for a ride and parked it back in the garage and noticed a couple of drips on the floor. Ever since I've been trying to figure out where it's been coming from. I drained some oil out and took it for another short ride and checked again and no drips. So, who has filled there oil tank too full and had a leak? Where does the leak come from?
Old 28th March 2005
Biker

jmhurt has disabled reputation

Hey I've been experiencing the same thing. I got my '04 1200R in
October, it had a slight leak at the dealership when I bought it,
coming from the left side. The tech said it had been overfilled , as
opposed to the '03-earlier models (they would blow the dipstick out).
I got it out of storage this week (finally warm) and looked it over...
Sure enough, small puddle underneath left side. Inside of battery cover
has oil on it. The oil also trailed down the oil tank, ran down the drain
a hose and covered the rear brake master cylinder cover. Best I can tell its coming from the top of the oil tank, rear left corner where the top is pressed
into the bottom half of the tank...maybe a gasket leak? Either way, even if
it is overfilled, the tank shouldn't just let oil run out all over the place.
Old 28th March 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Turbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really niceTurbota is just really nice

Jag ...

How much oil are you putting into it?

The 04-05 1200s will only take 3 quarts [total] with an oil filter change. I doubt the 883 is any different.

If your putting more than that in it .... Your putting in too much oil.

NRHS Stage 2 Heads / NRHS 10.5-1 Thunderstorm Pistons / Zipper's 567 Cams / Mikuni HSR42 Carb
RevTech Roller Rockers / Andrews Adj. Pushrods / RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust / Twin Tec TC88A Ignition
Old 28th March 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: '92 883/1200
dwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished roaddwardy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag1
Where does the leak come from?
It usually comes out the breather holes, into your air cleaner, and drips all over everything, unless you have a breather kit installed. Then, it would just drip out of the breather drain hose. I think most people are keeping their level down close to the lower mark to keep that from happening.
Old 29th March 2005
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
jag1 has disabled reputation

It's not overfilled, I checked it last knight after a long ride and the oil is halfway on the dipstick. I think it's actualy comeing from the oil filter. I noticed last night it was dripping up by the gasket and running down the front of the motor back to that block that the rear master cylinder bolts to. So, I guess I'll chang the filter and do see if that solves it. Man, I hate leaks. Thanks Guys
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th March 2005
Post no Avatars!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH-883D
Other Motorcycle Year: 1988
decman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant futuredecman has a brilliant future

Also check the oil sending unit, they leak a lot.
The oil blows back when you ride so it may look
like it come from somplace else.

I thought my pushrod seals were leaking for a while.