The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Ironworks Magazine
Dead Creek Cycles
Energy One Clutches
Dead Creek Cycles

NHRS Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XLC
kenward is on a distinguished roadkenward is on a distinguished roadkenward is on a distinguished road
Default My bike has the hiccups

Hey guys, I just bought my first harley a 97, sportster 1200 custom. The bike is in mint shape with 20,000 miles. Has been stored in a basement all winter and started right up. I have put about 300 miles on the bike and love it. I changed the engine oil, primary fluid and installed new spark plugs. My ? is how typical is the cough or carb burp? Runs awsome when u crank on it all through the rev range. When cruising 5th gear 40-45 MPH it gets occasional hiccups. Slow cruising around town it does it also. I know some of this is expected, but how much and how often I wonder. The bike is stock with screaming eagle pipes. Idles good also.
Old 20th April 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Scooter Trash KY is an unknown quantity at this point

If the baffles are out of the pipes you are going to get that a little bit. From the post I have read on here, it's really nothing to worry about. I had the same thing happening when I bought my 01 883 last year. I have since turned it into stage 1 and all of that went away, and the increase in performance was great. The total cost to stage 1 was about $150.00, well worth it. Hope that is of some help.
Old 20th April 2009
Biker

kenward is on a distinguished roadkenward is on a distinguished roadkenward is on a distinguished road

I am not sure if the baffles were taken out or not, but the screaming eagle stock pipes are kind of loud, not obnoxious but a nice rumble. I am curious as to how many others have had this or if it is indeed a harley thing. I wouldnt mind putting a few bucks in it to straighten it out though.
Old 21st April 2009
Biker

MilwaukeeSportsFan is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have this same problem and am looking at how to fix it. I'll be sure to post if I figure something out
Old 21st April 2009
Biker

Yesterday I spoke with a local tuner who told me has had a lot of sportsters with the same problem and its most likely solved by re-jetting. Stated he uses the dynajet kit and it makes quite an improvement. Kit and labor qouted at $160. This guy has a good reputation with quality work and performance results so I will have him do it. Dam hes busy so I have to wait a week n a half, well least I can still ride it till then. What is actually Stage 1? is that a filter mod too as I have a K&N.
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st April 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Gone
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Don Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant future

You might want to read around here for a bit before you decide to put a DynoJet kit in it. There are other alternatives.
"The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded that you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership." Lt. General Colin Powell, U.S.A., ret.
Old 21st April 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
dragon62 is a glorious beacon of lightdragon62 is a glorious beacon of lightdragon62 is a glorious beacon of lightdragon62 is a glorious beacon of lightdragon62 is a glorious beacon of lightdragon62 is a glorious beacon of lightdragon62 is a glorious beacon of lightdragon62 is a glorious beacon of lightdragon62 is a glorious beacon of lightdragon62 is a glorious beacon of lightdragon62 is a glorious beacon of light

rejetted mine.....hiccups happen few and far between.....still occasionally farts....

aka - Ol' Headbanger of the Popes of Hell MC
Old 21st April 2009
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Well, 160 bucks is kinda steep for a ten dollar fix....

Dynojet kits.....well, we ALL know what I think of them...waste of money...

This is a tuning issue...no more, no less....

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 21st April 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
jk883 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 06 also burps, have taken it back to dealer 4 times and was told by the manager at the harley dealer that it was normal for a carb bike and I have a strong running bike, It seems to be less frequent the more I have rode the bike or maybe I have just got used to it, I decided to just leave it alone unless it becomes a real problem for me, the bike runs good, other then occasional hiccup
Old 22nd April 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Red Trex is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like you have not changed any jets. Have you or is your mixture adjustment screw drilled out so you can adjust it? It sounds to me like a small turn out of the adjustment screw would take care of your light throttle farts. I wouldn't jump to changing out the slow jet just yet...

Look up the jetting 101 thread to get acquainted with your carb.
Know Thy Hog