The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Dead Creek Cycles
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches
Fix My Hog

Licks Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Sanch has disabled reputation
Default LED Blinkers in rear only

I've been reading posts here about replacing regular bulb blinkers with LED blinkers and there's been mention of needing a load equilizer. My bike never had blinkers and I only want to put ones on the back. Does this create a problem, do I need two load equilizers since I will only have one blinker on each side? Also, reading about all this I decided it would be a good idea to replace the headlight with an H4 halogen bulb. Do they make a conversion for this as I'd like to keep the stock headlight.

Thanks,
Sanch
Old 28th April 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Icefire is on a distinguished roadIcefire is on a distinguished roadIcefire is on a distinguished road
Default ive got em without equalizers...

I have a LED taillight/brake light assembly, works fine with no equalizer, and Ive been running a PIAA H4 headlight bulb for years without any mods....I think you only need to equalize the load if you want something to blink...
Keith Black .010 over pistons, Andrews PB+ cams, Accel Supercoil, solid core wires, rejetted Keihin Butterfly carb, S&S air cleaner, Unleaded conversion, valve job, heads bored, new rocker arms, rockers, pushrods, seals, Accel Cyclelite Platinum plugs, Accel 8.8 mm plug wires, Big Boar BB1000 battery, O-ring chain, upgraded handlebar controls,Maxxis tires, GMA front brake, drilled disk, Mustang seat, custom grips, Skull point cover, skull gas cap, RunRoader exhaust pipes, pullback drag bars, etc…
Old 29th April 2009
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200xlc
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 xlc
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha/honda/kawi/bultaco
goldsport is on a distinguished roadgoldsport is on a distinguished roadgoldsport is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
I've been reading posts here about replacing regular bulb blinkers with LED blinkers and there's been mention of needing a load equilizer. My bike never had blinkers and I only want to put ones on the back. Does this create a problem, do I need two load equilizers since I will only have one blinker on each side? Also, reading about all this I decided it would be a good idea to replace the headlight with an H4 halogen bulb. Do they make a conversion for this as I'd like to keep the stock headlight.

Thanks,
Sanch
I'm not an expert but i swapped out my stock signals for leds in the rear and aftermarkets in the front. (01 1200xlc) I did have to put on a load equalizer in order for them to blink. I believe it depends on the year/make/model of your bike. How I understand it is the signal canceller on new bikes does not "read" the signal to blink and neads to draw more power in order to function proprerly. My turn signals came on but did not blink. They are simple to install. ONE WORD OF CAUTION: If you use the older badlanders o1 model it uses a ceramic element and will generate heat IF YOU LEAVE THE BLINKERS/flashers on for extended period of time. I found out the hard way in the middle of a parade I had my flashers on and a guy tapped me on the shoulder and said "Hey dude your bikes on fire" OH
S--T, smoke was pouring out from under the seat. Turns out the equializers was very hot and melting. After some research I find that they have new models that are "solid state" and will not generate heat. I don't want to find out. Anyway, check out "badlanders" web site they have a lot of good info on this. I don't have the link or I would give it to you. Hope this helps!! Good luck! P.s. you can find them on Ebay for around 25 bucks.
Old 29th April 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

You do not need a load equalizer on an IronHead. You need them on modern bikes that have a computer to control the bilnking. That little flasher unit that we have [mine is in the headlite bucket] works excellent on its own.
Old 29th April 2009
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200xlc
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 xlc
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: yamaha/honda/kawi/bultaco
goldsport is on a distinguished roadgoldsport is on a distinguished roadgoldsport is on a distinguished road

I believe he's absolutly correct!! Just install and see what happens. Should be fine on an ironhead.
Know Thy Hog

Old 29th April 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 77
77ridgidframe is an unknown quantity at this point

yea i have led's on the front of mine in the mirrors.....i only have them as markers not blinkers(blinkers dont exist on my bike) i did have some on the back too for about 20 miles after a day of installing them ,,,,damn bike just rattled them right off....so i took it as she just didnt want them there lol.....but i have had no electrical probloms because of them no
Old 29th April 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-883
cbear will become famous soon enoughcbear will become famous soon enoughcbear will become famous soon enoughcbear will become famous soon enoughcbear will become famous soon enoughcbear will become famous soon enoughcbear will become famous soon enough

If an iron uses a flasher relay like old cars, then you can get an electronic flasher that isn't load dependent. I'd only do that if you do run in to issues.
Old 29th April 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: shovester project
Sportster/Buell Year: 80s
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki kz440
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
billeuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nicebilleuze is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbear View Post
If an iron uses a flasher relay like old cars, then you can get an electronic flasher that isn't load dependent. I'd only do that if you do run in to issues.
Yeh, it does. and the cheap car flashers from car parts stores work just as good as the oem harly parts - just get the same number of pins (2 or 3, i forget which) and plug it in.
Old 29th April 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Sanch has disabled reputation

As usual you guys are great! Thanks for the replies.

IceFire - How did you install the PIAA H4 headlight bulb in the stock headlight housing? Did you have to get new "guts" for it?
Old 29th April 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell 1125CR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1964
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Ninja 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
xl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
You do not need a load equalizer on an IronHead. You need them on modern bikes that have a computer to control the bilnking. That little flasher unit that we have [mine is in the headlite bucket] works excellent on its own.
Not sure if this is true.

Even modern bike use a mechanical flasher (my '07 Buell did), and when I installed LED blinkers there wasn't enough load on the box to make them blink - they just buzzed and looked half-lit.

I was able to find another flasher box that plugged in but was designed to run on less draw, and while the lights blinked faster than stock, they at least blinked.

If you can't get another box to handle the lower draw, you'll need load equalizers to increase the resistance going to the flasher unit. Otherwise, they won't flash.

And LED brake/tail/turn assembly likely has all the electronic goodies built into it.
Know Thy Hog