The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
Energy One Clutches
Biltwell
RYCA Motors
RYCA Motors

Get Lowered

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/90 inch Big Bore
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Softail Deuce
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
pa22 is on a distinguished roadpa22 is on a distinguished roadpa22 is on a distinguished roadpa22 is on a distinguished roadpa22 is on a distinguished road

Great write up Chris, this is gonna be a very useful sticky!
Old 25th April 2007
Chief Harley Engineer

supercharger will become famous soon enoughsupercharger will become famous soon enoughsupercharger will become famous soon enoughsupercharger will become famous soon enoughsupercharger will become famous soon enoughsupercharger will become famous soon enough

DO NOT FILL TO JUST UNDER INSPECTION WINDOW!!!!!!!

The inspection window is the small removable plate where you check your primary chain tension.

You fill it so that your fluid is just contacting the bottom of the clutch basket with the bike upright. You do this with the DERBY COVER removed.

Other than that faux pas, a very good how to.

"That horse ain't dead till I get through with it"
Old 27th April 2007
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883/1250 Stage3
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S1 White Lightning
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1300S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
cjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nice

Thanks supercharger, I said the clutch inspection cover, not the inspection window for the primary chain.

The manual calls the "derby cover" a clutch inspection cover, "derby cover" is the slang for this part.

Hopefully if people follow the post correctly the primary chain inspection cover will still be installed and the clutch inspection cover will be removed and they won't get confused between the two.

Chris
Old 15th May 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Norton 750S
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
Mr Davo has disabled reputation

When you find that turning the adjuster screw until you feel resistance doesnt work, try rereading the manual or this post, and turning the screw ANTIclockwise.

Every other clutch I ever adjusted the screw went clockwise, so I didnt think twice about which way to turn it, I am doing my own service for the first time, after finding out the stealer wanted nearly ú300 ($600) !
Old 20th May 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
rsrhawk1 has disabled reputation
Default '97 clutch adjustment

Great Write up. I have a '97 883, I replaced the clutch cable and did all the adjustments per the manual, but the first time every morning I put it in 1st gear, the gears don't mesh, after this first time I can go up and down the gears with no problem. It didn't do this before I replaced the cable. I have played with the adjustments and made sure that the bottom adjustment is out 1/4 turn, the fluid is new and at the correct level, even with the bottom of the Derby cover lip. The top is approximately 3/16" gap. Any ideas? Could the cable be too long?

Thanks
Rich (rsrhawk)
Know Thy Hog

Old 20th May 2007

cjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nicecjburr is just really nice

If the cable is too long you will have excessive play at the lever I would think, but I could be wrong. Do you have the specified gap at the lever ?? Sounds like if it wont engage the gear when you let out the lever you've adjusted the adjusting screw too far and it is putting pressure on the diaphragm spring and not letting the clutch release.

Chris
Old 20th May 2007
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjburr View Post
If the cable is too long you will have excessive play at the lever I would think, but I could be wrong. Do you have the specified gap at the lever ?? Sounds like if it wont engage the gear when you let out the lever you've adjusted the adjusting screw too far and it is putting pressure on the diaphragm spring and not letting the clutch release.

Chris
Hi Chris,

What is happening is when I pull in the lever and put the shifter in 1st gear, the gears won't mesh unless I force it. Once it is in gear and I let out on the lever, everything is fine and I don't notice any slippage when I go thru the gears. The cable is a Barnett not the stock Harley and looks longer than the one I took off. The dealer said that I would work fine, but I haven't been able to adjust out this first gear gnashing issue.

I appreciate your help on this.

Rich
Old 20th May 2007

If the gap at the lever is right then you need to turn the adjusting screw a little more counterclockwise. When you adjust the screw you are supposed to go till you feel resistance then turn it back a 1/4 turn, the problem is that the resistance I feel isn't what you feel, it's something you have to play with till you get it.

Turning that adjustment screw is putting pressure on the diaphragm spring, think of it that way and put a little preload on the spring, then back off 1/4 turn.
Old 22nd May 2007
Biker

Chris,
I went thru the adjustment again and seem to have it in order. Has a little clunk at fast idle, but quiet and easy at idle. Thanks for your advise.

Rich
Old 24th June 2007
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Nightster1 is on a distinguished roadNightster1 is on a distinguished roadNightster1 is on a distinguished roadNightster1 is on a distinguished roadNightster1 is on a distinguished road

Very impressive and helpful right up, That is great with the pics, this helps me a whole bunch.
Know Thy Hog