The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum CV Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > GENERAL AREA > Other Motorcycle Discussion
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Other Motorcycle Discussion Non-Sportster an non-Buell discussion area

Members Birthdays
DRAWTOOL (64), svoracer (61), curly h (60), mosby (57), barry1967 (47), BiggyJ (47), the_MAD_Baker (46), deadeye (41), SharkMDick (39), bdbecker (31)
Biltwell
Motor Stage
Lowbrow Customs
Figure Machine

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all
Default Triumph Ride Report

Me and my Dad hit the local Triumph/BMW dealer for this demo ride day. I got to ride most of the Triumph line. No Rocket was listed, but thank GOD, that thing is HUGE!!

First off was the 2009 Tiger 1050 Triple. Since I've ridden my Dads 1150R it is quite similar but the power and torque are completely different. I was easily up to 6k rpm for my shift points before I noticed any buzzing from the bars. This thing is so SMOOTH!! The ride. WOW, Cushy suspension had me gliding over bumps that would be jarring on the Sporty. The small windshield worked surprisingly well. It blocked most of the wind off my chest which left my head in the full air. Interestingly, I felt quite fine with this. This would probably be my next bike, I was that impressed with it.

Second test ride, 2009 Triumph Speedmaster. Classic Triumph design with forward controls and wide bars. This was the FIRST bike I've ridden with forward controls so it was kinda weird at first, but once I found where the pegs were, it was fine. AIso I LOVED the stock seat. Nice, comfy and soft. This is what the Sporty seat should feel like. Power was excellent and definitely quite a lot more than my 883. One thing I noticed was that I didn't have a hard time hanging on with no windshield. The seat is considerably lower so the front end takes most of the wind. I easily hit 65 with no windshield and loved it. I wish my Sporty was like that One more thing to mention, the new 270 degree firing parallel twin was very smooth and almost no bar vibration.

Overall it was a good day and I finally got to ride more bikes to compare against the Sporty.

Prices out the door..... 1050 Tigre, $11,9 including hard bags - SpeedMaster $8800

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Marquis de la Grange (1639 - 1692)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by bigjnsa; 2nd May 2009 at 20:35.. Reason: typo
Old 2nd May 2009

bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

Oh ... pics!!

Old 2nd May 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 883xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
moto vito is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you get to ride the new bonneville se?
Old 2nd May 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: Springer Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
srrice40 is a glorious beacon of lightsrrice40 is a glorious beacon of lightsrrice40 is a glorious beacon of lightsrrice40 is a glorious beacon of lightsrrice40 is a glorious beacon of lightsrrice40 is a glorious beacon of lightsrrice40 is a glorious beacon of lightsrrice40 is a glorious beacon of lightsrrice40 is a glorious beacon of lightsrrice40 is a glorious beacon of lightsrrice40 is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah what about the Scrambler too? I love that bike.
Ol' Cowboy Stephen of the Death Cats MC
Old 2nd May 2009

I saw it in the showroom, but didn't ride it. They did have the new Thunderbird but it was showroom only. Something about it being a preproduction model and not road worthy.
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd May 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Wooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of lightWooley is a glorious beacon of light

I love the old trumpets and the new ones seem to be a great value. Thanks for the ride report, I enjoyed it.
Old 2nd May 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Hot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud ofHot Rod Sporty has much to be proud of

I like that speedmaster.
Godspeed brother.[/B]

[B]"I just love the 'mechanicalness' of it"[/B]
--Indian Larry Desmedt[/SIZE]
Old 2nd May 2009

HotRod, I really liked the Speedmaster too. I'd say without riding any other brands, my next bike would be a Speedmaster or Tiger based on my rides today.
Old 4th May 2009

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnsa View Post
Second test ride, 2009 Triumph Speedmaster. Classic Triumph design with forward controls and wide bars.
I think you mean a bastardized classic triumph designed specifically to pander to myopic american "cruiser" types - i.e. to try a steal some Harley sales.

ICK - FRICKING ICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto vito View Post
Did you get to ride the new bonneville se?
Now THAT's a CLASSIC TRIUMPH design!

I wouldn't piss on a Speedmaster if it was on fire.

But I'd take a new Bonnie Black or a T100 or a Thruxton in a heartbeat!
Old 4th May 2009

Meh, to each his own...
Know Thy Hog