The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Burly  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding with disability
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Riding with disability Discussions on how to ride with minor or major disabilities.

Members Birthdays
ledbelly (61), sportrod (61), pjcav (47), jgaither (46), naru (42), eberky (38), Paulie420 (35), 83xls
Energy One Clutches
Superbrace
S&S Cycle
Figure Machine

DK Customs
View Poll Results: Do you suffer from sciatica?
No 23 21.90%
Yes, minor or moderate pain 29 27.62%
Yes, sometimes MAJOR (debiliatating) pain 44 41.90%
No, but I have some other back condition 18 17.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200 Real School Chop
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBR600
Other Motorcycle Year: 89
Sportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the roughSportster1200 is a jewel in the rough

The key to most back issues is to firm up your abs so they can support your weight and act as a support for your back.

Most guys don't have "washboard" stomachs and lose their tone in that area as they get older.

The catch-22 though is ab exercises kill my back so I shy away from doing them.

Kong
Old 16th March 2007
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Buell 1125CR
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1964
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Ninja 250
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
xl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura about

Wow... here's a god damned flare up now. I hate this sh!t.

Slow moving now. I have an appointment in the morning, so it better help. Supposed to go skiing again tomorrow night - looks like I'll be hanging out in the lodge.

It was WAY bad...got much better, but still an issue. Now it's back to bad and getting worse (though it's been much worse before).

Nodaclu - I know what you mean about not being to play sports or be active. For me, I coudln't run or jog or anything for a long time after the first flare up I had. It stayed like that for months. Then one day i noticed there was literally no pain and could do anything I wanted, and did. I remember very cleary one day last summer running on the beach for a few hours playing frisbee with no complaints.
Old 16th March 2007

xl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura aboutxl1200r has a spectacular aura about

Kong... I agree with you when it comes to middle or upper back pain. Strenghtening the muscles in your in abs, chest and neck can help a ton.

What I've found for the sciatica problem is to target the muscles in the lower back. One exercise id to sit on one of those big inflatable balls and rotate your hips around like a hula dancer or a stripper. You feel stupid doing it, but it works. You'r be suprised how hard it is at frst because you just don't work those muscles in everyday life.
Old 16th March 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: 600cc CBR
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Weo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to all

My father has this.

I am lucky, not to have problems with this. It's been hard to get my father to do too many "fixes" for his physical aches and pains, but he listens to me more than his doctor.

My understanding, is that it's basically caused by a slipped disk. I have slipped a disk before. Yes, you can slip a disk anywhere up and down your back, but its the nerve that it pinches that determines where it's going to hurt, i.e. siatica nerve. Disk slips out from between your vertebrate = pain/nerve pinch, disk slips back in = no pain/no nerve pinch.

Some things that have greatly limited issues relating to my back have been to:

1. Use a small travel pillow to give me lumbar support (lower part of back right above your butt) if the chair/seat I'm in does not.
2. Pay attention not to "twist" when you bend over to pick up something (this is how a weightlifter who dead lifts 800lbs can throw his back out picking up a sneaker off the floor).
3. Immediately stop doing whatever I'm doing the second I feel an unusual strain on my spine

Keep in mind, that if you have a slipped disk, and you wait to get it treated, or you "shrug off the pain", you are making your body develop arthritis (calcification; calcium spur) of that area of your spine. This often adds to the pain, or makes things "more complicated". That's what my father has developed in his upper back (different injury).

Last edited by Weo; 16th March 2007 at 06:12..
Old 16th March 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xl 883->1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
sdjr will become famous soon enoughsdjr will become famous soon enoughsdjr will become famous soon enoughsdjr will become famous soon enoughsdjr will become famous soon enoughsdjr will become famous soon enoughsdjr will become famous soon enough

I get shooting back pain on occaision, like to drop me to my knees...so I usually take a motrin 800mg once a day, rarely twice, and just when it's bad...and the situps, they help alot to strengthen the back...I don't do alot, maybe 20-30 during a TV commercial in the evening, if I feel a sweat threatening to break, I definately stop, and sit back on the couch with a beer...works for me...good luck
buell thunderstorm heads/pistons,
progressive springs/shocks, S&S AC
cycleshack slip- ons, SE Ignition/Cams
Diamond Back cables, internal wires
Mustang Vintage Wide Seat
Metzler 880's 110 upfront, 150 in the rear
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th March 2007
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: bikeless for now
LiLBrudder will become famous soon enoughLiLBrudder will become famous soon enoughLiLBrudder will become famous soon enoughLiLBrudder will become famous soon enoughLiLBrudder will become famous soon enoughLiLBrudder will become famous soon enough

I've had this for years, also a mechanic by trade so the bending climbing and leaning over never helps. Its really flared up lately. Went to the back cracker a couple of days ago and got adjusted. It helped with the back pain, but still dealing with the sciatica. It flares up and then goes away, comes back. Been taking meds it helps, but so does the stretching. Damn I hate getting old!!
Old 17th March 2007

Try this on for size.

Last night, my pain shot through the roof again, and this morning was about the same. I had an appointment with the doctor this morning and he showed me a few more excersizes I can do. I was able to them all while I was there.

He also informed me to come back first thing Monday, and if it hasn't stabilized or is getting better, he's going to send me to a nuerosugeon for an MRI.

He guess is there's about an 80% chance that I have a herniated disc. If it's not too bad, the excersizes should strengthen the muscles along my spine and push it back into place.

If the excersizes don't do the trick, he think surgery is going to be my only hope. It's looking to me like this may be the case as the pain has done nothing but get worse and worse throughout the day. To the point where it's too painful to do the exercizes he showed me. I've been icing it all night.

Anyone have any experience with this type of surgery? Like, what the recovery time is like? Americade is not that far away and I had a whole week planned on the bike for that and I'd hate to miss it because of this crap.

I've been feeling pretty up lately, but tonight, with the snow and having to clear the driveway to get my car in, it's just killing me. It's to the point right now where I can't do anything anymore. I'm 23 years old and I'm able to be about as active as my 99-year-old great grandfather who is wheelchair bound. It hurts to sit, stand, lat down, walk, crawl, cough, sneeze, breathe, anything. Nothing makes it better right now and EVERYTHING makes it worse. I just want it to stop so I can feel better. This is total bullshit that I have to go through this crap.

On an upnote, I got offered a job today (I graduate in May) and they want to pay me WAY too much money. I think i'll be taking it.
Old 17th March 2007
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883ST
Sportster/Buell Year: '06
Nodaclu will become famous soon enoughNodaclu will become famous soon enoughNodaclu will become famous soon enoughNodaclu will become famous soon enoughNodaclu will become famous soon enoughNodaclu will become famous soon enoughNodaclu will become famous soon enough

xl1200r

Be *very* cautious when it comes to back surgeries. My wife sees injured workers come in to their clinic all the time after back surgery. Before that, she was a work comp adjuster for 6 years.

By her estimation of the medical files and cases she's seen, she estimates that about 70-80% of those who have had back surgery are either no better then they were before the surgery, or actually worse.

That's one of the big reasons I did everything in my power to avoid surgery. Not trying to scare you at all, but back surgeries aren't the same as say, scoping a knee, where the result is positive 99% of the time.

Backs are much trickier when it comes to surgery, and success is not guaranteed. Especially at your age, be sure to save that as the absolute LAST option when everything else has been exhausted.

~Mike
Old 17th March 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200R (totalled
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
PlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant futurePlanB has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl1200r View Post
On an upnote, I got offered a job today (I graduate in May) and they want to pay me WAY too much money. I think i'll be taking it.
Sorry to hear about your pain...but congratulations on your upcoming graduation AND the new job! You did check that they have excellent health insurance, right?

I blew my back many moons ago, and as most of the folks here who have had back pain have attested. it's a life changing experience! Every time I get out of a chair, I have to consciously tell myself to use my legs to rise from the chair straight up...picking something up from the floor takes prior planning...no twisting while lifting...the last time mine went out I was brushing my teeth in the bathroom (bent over the sink) when I had an unexpected sneeze pop up...memo for record, DO NOT sneeze when bent over! That one put me to the floor! Back when mine first went out, the standard treatment was ten days of bedrest with Moltrin...nowadays they want you walking as soon as possible! One exercise that seemed to help a lot that I don't practice like I should was a type of backward sit-up...lay on say a dining room table on your stomach and place the top half of your body off of the table with your head toward the floor...then bring that body half back up even with the table top...it really strengthened my lower back muscles, and the exercise did not seem to irritate my back at all...I don't know if the medical community advocates that anymore, but it seemed to work for me!

I agree a bad back sucks, and you have to be conscious of every move you do for I guess infinity...good luck as you go through the diagnosis process...

On a lighter note, I remember a Doctor of Osteopath recommend to me to do pelvic thrusts daily to strengthen my lower back muscles...I told him if he would write me a prescription for that, I'd present it to my girlfriend and tell her I HAVE to follow doctor's orders!
Old 17th March 2007

Planb - it sounds like the two excersizes you described are exactly what he has me doing now. I have one of those inflatable workout balls, and ly face-down on one with the ball rught around my pelvis, lower torso, and do these "reverse situps". The hip thrusts sounds similar to, where I sit on the ball and rock my hips forward and back.
Know Thy Hog