The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
excel50 (73), blazer95 (64), mycle1000 (59), Barryn37 (53), QBALL (53), paulieb (52), cfranz (41), BMXATV (40), ravyn3 (35), Texas_Wild, hillpope (32)
Sky Smith Insurance
Motor Stage
Get Lowered
Lowbrow Customs

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th May 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH Bobber
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
HardcoreZ28 is on a distinguished roadHardcoreZ28 is on a distinguished roadHardcoreZ28 is on a distinguished roadHardcoreZ28 is on a distinguished roadHardcoreZ28 is on a distinguished road
Default Two Questions...Generator bolt size, and suggestion on broken bolt

Ok so my chrome parts are finally being shipped back so now I can think about getting my motor back in the bike over the next week or so and fnishing all the small details.

First question....bought the bike in pieces so no clue on some stuff.....what size are the generator bolts? I can measure out the thread size, but what length are they supposed to be?

Also I had an unfortunate incident during assembly. I was installing the case bolts and the one that goes right between the two cylinders at the top snapped off on me in the case. I had a torque wrench on it and hadn't hit 35 ft/lbs yet. Broke almost right where the threads start on the bolt. I was already kinda at the point of no return when it happened with silicone between the cases and everything else torqued correctly so I kept going. Now I need to get it out. It seems like it's just past the point where I'd be able to get an easy out into it. I was thinking try drilling for the easy out anyway and then attempt to basically weld an extension onto the easy out so that it reaches far enough in. My biggest concern is that there's loctite on the threads so they will take quite a bit of force to break free.

The only other option I forsee me having is to drill into the bolt and tap it for a smaller thread. Again though it's so far in I'd have to find a way to lengthen the tap to reach. Or I can just leave it broken off in there and pray the jugs hold the top of the case together and I have no leaks...but I don't like doing things the hack way.

Any suggestions?
Old 8th May 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really niceMonte03 is just really nice

sounds involved and it sounds like I would have a machinist tackle this, you run the risk of the drill 'walking' and eating the hell out of your aluminum case, not good.. pictures here would really help..
Old 8th May 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

HardcoreZ28 is on a distinguished roadHardcoreZ28 is on a distinguished roadHardcoreZ28 is on a distinguished roadHardcoreZ28 is on a distinguished roadHardcoreZ28 is on a distinguished road

Not sure it really requires a machinist unless I need to drill the bolt out completely without taking out the threads in the process. I may even be able to do that too....I just need some good bits.
Old 8th May 2009

ryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to allryder rick is a name known to all

There is not point of return when building a motor.
Sometimes you have to stop and take it back apart.
This IS one of those times.
You will also want to remove all that bathroom tub and tile sealer and use a better sealer like Halomar or Yamahabond (preferred) for a leak free joint.

Heat will soften the locktite (you didn't use red did you?).
Old 8th May 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

I may try my easy out idea first with some sort of extension......if that doesn't do it then yes I'll pull it back apart for as much as I don't want to.

As for the "bathtub" sealer......I think I'll be ok.....if not then consider it a good experiment. I used the Right Stuff black RTV that comes in the aerosol can. That's all I ever use to seal the china wall on engines and I've not once had a leak. Granted an intake doesn't see the same heat or pressure....but I really think this will do the job.

Loctite----definitely used red so it'll be all kinds of fun to get free.
Know Thy Hog

Old 8th May 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Any opinions on drilling with a reverse bit? Maybe the heat and vibration of the drilling could loosen it up? Biggest problem is the depth that it's in at....again pointing towards disassembly maybe being a better option.
Old 9th May 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
Other Motorcycle Model: Springer Softtail
Other Motorcycle Year: 89'
1976 XL is on a distinguished road1976 XL is on a distinguished road

I've Heard That Red Locktite Will Release With Heat. But I Would Probably Pull The Cylinder Off To Get To It Easier,because If It Were Mine I Would Surely Screw Something Up. You May Change You Mind About The Machinist After You Get A Better Look At It. It's Worth Not Riding A Week Or Two To Do The Job Right The First Time.
Old 9th May 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C Chopper
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 08
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 79
Likemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond reputeLikemlouder has a reputation beyond repute

if it were me and i was determined not to take it back apart. i would get a bolt the same size and a long drill bit. and drill a small hole all the way through the bolt straight. may take a few tries. then use the bolt as a template in the block and drill through it into the broke off bolt. it is the only chance you have at ever hitting center. keep step drilling. the bolt. then the bolt in the case untill you have a big enough hole to try an ez out. if it breaks off in there take it apart and do it right.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/33uvl1i.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10th May 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likemlouder View Post
if it were me and i was determined not to take it back apart. i would get a bolt the same size and a long drill bit. and drill a small hole all the way through the bolt straight. may take a few tries. then use the bolt as a template in the block and drill through it into the broke off bolt. it is the only chance you have at ever hitting center. keep step drilling. the bolt. then the bolt in the case untill you have a big enough hole to try an ez out. if it breaks off in there take it apart and do it right.

Hmm....that's a pretty damn good idea on how to keep the hole centered. I think I'll give it a try.

I did talk to a friend of mine who owns a machine shop and he suggested trying the reverse drill bit first if it reaches deep enough. Tomorrow night I'm hoping to have a chance to get into it some. If it wasn't for the Loctite I think it would come right out. When I was putting it in the bolt never really got "tight"....it just kept turning and then snapped. Torque wrench was set at 35 ft/lbs so I wasn't just cranking on it. And when I noticed it was spinning I slowed down a lot on the wrench...going about a quarter turn at a time to see if I felt anything odd. Was too late and it snapped though. So I can loosen up the loctite it may back right out for me.
Old 10th May 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
papphammar is on a distinguished roadpapphammar is on a distinguished road

On mine that bolt go straight out on the other side with a nut on each end?
Just tap it out and replace it?
Maybe i got this wrong...do you have a pic of it?