The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End Cams, Cases, Gears, Flywheel, Piston Conecting Rods, Oil Pump, etc...

Members Birthdays
oldsporty1 (64), BIRD DOG (58), paris15 (56), thesmithiz (56), pajimmyjoe (55), chuckam (51), steve w (45), le_strike (38), Rubicon (32), r3db3ard3d (26)
Biltwell
Get Lowered
Motor Stage
NHRS Performance

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th March 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough
Default what would happen??

if you were to drop a lil debree into the motor if you were taking the pistons off???..........just a lil bit.......or if the some tiny lil strings from the rags stuffed on top of the flywheel stayed in there???
Old 21st March 2007
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Everett is an unknown quantity at this point

im no master mechanic, but i dont think a touch of schmeg from a rag would do anything bad. im sure it would end up burning up or coming out one way or another. depends on what ya drop.... a nickel or some dusty grime off a rag.
Old 21st March 2007

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

well i guess the rag was a dumb example...but like even a lil drop of carbon debree from a piston?
Old 21st March 2007
Riding with Angels

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Matt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the roughMatt is a jewel in the rough

That's what filters are for. You'll be changing oil anyway after the build right?
Don't worry about it, if threads from a shop rag caused problems they'd be made out of something else.
Matt
Old 21st March 2007

oh yea ill be changing the oil and transmission oil before i start her up for the first time....
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st March 2007
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH QC99
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Dyna
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
sporty58 has disabled reputation

I generally use newer rags around there to try to avoid that. The most common thing to drop is probably the circlip that holds the wrist pin in either when you are taking the old one out or putting the new one in... It is a real good idea to make sure you have rags stuffed in there tight before you mess with them... (Unless you are looking for an excuse to go to the 88". (Shit hon.. It fell in...... so as long as i have to split the cases I might just as well have NRHS bore the cases and go with 88"... It is almost the same price)

1998 - 99" homegrown conversion, Stage II NRHS Thunderstorm heads, Redshift .643 cams, Axtell castiron cylinders, S$S 4 5/16 crank, S&S G with thunderjet

** Gone** 2004 R1150R.... Just had to try one and the ride sucked so bad I sold it after one season... pretty bad when it is a worse ride than a solid mount sporty
Old 21st March 2007

so the lil shit wont hurt the engine really...espwecially if im doing oil changes before i fire her up