The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Biltwell
Energy One Clutches
DK Customs
Zippers Performance

Foxcreek Leather

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th May 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
hammy06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new tires

I need to get new tires for my 01 xlh

Should I go with the stock, dunlop 402?

Someone told me to go with Metzeler ME 880? Any thoughts on what to do?

First Harley and I have only had the bike for about a month now, but the tires are the oringals (only 3k miles but need more grip)

Are some brands better than others?

Thanks for your help!
Old 13th May 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

How do you ride? Very fast, drag racer, twistie junkie, easy rider, double with tho old lady, etc... We need this info to give you an informed opinion.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Old 13th May 2009
Red Beard Cycles

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

I can highly recommend the Metzeler ME880's. GREAT grip in WET and DRY. They're also a longer lasting tire.. (not as long as stock, but I can get 10,000 miles / set)

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 13th May 2009
Greasemonkey

I do a little of everything, it all depends on the mood Im in. Sometimes I have the tightest grip on the throttle and other times Im relaxed crusing through the twisties. My wife loves to get on the back and go with me on short trips or long trips.

I also ride rain or shine, it doesnt matter to me.
Old 13th May 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Orange 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
brprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enough

You mentioned in the first post that your tires have 3k miles but need more grip, so I think you answered your own question about going back to stock. Sounds like the Metzlers would be a good choice for you.

I believe I'll start today...
Know Thy Hog

Old 13th May 2009
Greasemonkey

I mentioned that I need more grip because the tires are from 2001 and are just old. The previous owner never really put any miles on the bike (2500 miles in 8 years).

Now that I have the bike and I am riding the thing, I think I should replace the old tires thats all.
Old 13th May 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2007 XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
DIESEL has disabled reputation

I have a set of Avon Venoms on the wifes bike. I just did a 400 mile ride on Monday and they were nice. We had a bit of superslap, twisties, stop and go, and they were sweet.
Old 13th May 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Orange 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
brprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enough

Probably a good idea to change out old hard tires. Cheap insurance. I personally like the stock tires and have 15k on the rear tire with no issues. They seem to work well in both wet and dry conditions. But it seems that most people on this site like the Metzler or Avons better.
Old 13th May 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

The stock Dunlop's last a long time, but ride like wood. Avon Venom AM41 and AM42 are good tires, but won't last as long. Metzeler ME880 good too, and kind of in between.

It just depends what you want.
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars