The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Mr.P (50), G-man1965, Dietoride (45), mct496 (43), JuggaloCujo (31)
Motor Stage
DK Customs
NRHS Performance Long 2
Lowbrow Customs

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th May 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Hugger Trike
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL Iron Head
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
dobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished roaddobermandave is on a distinguished road
Default Rough guess on S&S jets with drag pipes 79 XLH

Just ordered a new S&S E for my Daughters 79 XLH, mostly stock with drag pipes, compression 170-165. What jets would you put in before you install it.
They said it comes with 028 intermediate & .066 main.
Thanks
Old 14th May 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
keeno is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats a good start point for a 1000. You may want to go to .0265 intermediate with .66 main. Follow S&S's setup in the manual, easy as....eliminate all air leaks first or make sure there isnt any to begin with.
Old 14th May 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default You're going to have tuning problems with those drag pipes...

...S&S carbs and drags are NOT a good combination.
Old 14th May 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

There is no magic pill for carb jetting. I would start with a 29.5 and a 68 then follow the instructions that come with the carb.

you can download the instructions here
http://www.sscycle.com/admin/uploads...ns/51-1012.pdf
Old 14th May 2009
Banned

Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default A 29.5/68 is going to be too rich for you. I run a 29.5/66 on my '74...

...but I'm also BELOW sea level here in South Florida, with tons of dense, hot air (humidity) for the carb to deal with.

Unless you like collecting S&S jets, I'd follow Keeno's suggestion of the more moderate 26.5/66 combo.
Know Thy Hog

Old 14th May 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

I've been running wetdreamz with an S&S Super E on my '93 rigid for over 3 years. Runs great!

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes
Old 14th May 2009
Banned

Default Wait a second...

...no one rang the bell yet for the fight over whether you can run drags with Shorty E carbs or not.

DING!

Okay. Let's scrap in an orderly manner.
Old 14th May 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
supr2nr is on a distinguished roadsupr2nr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan RoachCoach View Post
...no one rang the bell yet for the fight over whether you can run drags with Shorty E carbs or not.

DING!

Okay. Let's scrap in an orderly manner.

You can, BUT it does make tuning a bit more interesting. I currently run drags on mine with a Super E and don't have a problem. I just miss out on some of the mid range.

Old 14th May 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

Why do riders feel the need to defend the fact that they have chosen to run an part on their bike that leaves copious amounts of power on the table and causes tuning problems? It's OK that you have made that choice.
Your choice is your choice, there is no need to defend that choice.
At the same time it is NOT good etiquette to try and tell someone that something that is not the best is OK!
What is good for you, may not be good for them.
So you are in fact giving bad advice.
Give the person all the information and let them make their choice.

It's a known and documented fact that open pipes are not the best choice for the street.

I HATE OPEN EXHAUST! As a professed tuner open exhaust makes me look bad, because I can't always tune around it.

Put what ever you want on your bike, if you have problems be prepared to bite the bullet. And whatever you do, don't blame your tuner when you go against advice.
Old 14th May 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
Why do riders feel the need to defend the fact that they have chosen to run an part on their bike that leaves copious amounts of power on the table and causes tuning problems? It's OK that you have made that choice.
Your choice is your choice, there is no need to defend that choice.
At the same time it is NOT good etiquette to try and tell someone that something that is not the best is OK!
What is good for you, may not be good for them.
So you are in fact giving bad advice.
Give the person all the information and let them make their choice.

It's a known and documented fact that open pipes are not the best choice for the street.

I HATE OPEN EXHAUST! As a professed tuner open exhaust makes me look bad, because I can't always tune around it.

Put what ever you want on your bike, if you have problems be prepared to bite the bullet. And whatever you do, don't blame your tuner when you go against advice.
Exactly! I know that by running Wetdreamz pipes that my bike is not running at its full potential. I really could care less that I could squeeze another 3-4 HP (or even 15 for that matter) out of it. I chose the pipes I have because they look great and sound awesome. I don't race my bike, I cruise on it. The speed, horsepower, and torque is just fine for me the way it is.
Know Thy Hog