The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
BIKE BUILDER
Foxcreek Leather
DK Customs
Motor Stage

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 2004 Sportster 1200C
Redrocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry HELP! Charging Problems with IRONHEAD

Guys I need so help before I pull whats left of my hair out! I have a 1977 Sportster 1000 with a new battery, Generator, & wiring. I went out riding the last fwe days, not far but enough to tune the carb. BUT TODAY I rode for a while stop to put gas in then mounted my piece cold hard steel motorcyle and the stupid battery was DEAD! I've checked everything I know how but can't find the gremlin! Any advise!!!!
Old 15th May 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SX 250
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1975
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph America
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Tin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud ofTin Man 2 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrocker View Post
Guys I need so help before I pull whats left of my hair out! I have a 1977 Sportster 1000 with a new battery, Generator, & wiring. I went out riding the last fwe days, not far but enough to tune the carb. BUT TODAY I rode for a while stop to put gas in then mounted my piece cold hard steel motorcyle and the stupid battery was DEAD! I've checked everything I know how but can't find the gremlin! Any advise!!!!
....... I got tired of working on my Ironhead charging system, I put on a one wire Gen/Reg combo for about $150 and fixed it once and for all. Lost the Gen light but the Gen has Green diode light that comes on when its working. Not a resto piece but most dont notice with a quick look.
Old 15th May 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 81 sporty
boilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura aboutboilermaker has a spectacular aura about

Didja polarize the generator
Old 16th May 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
ark is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
Didja polarize the generator
+1 on checking that, i bought my bike with a "charging issue" and got a real good price and thats all it turned out to be, quick 30 second fix
Old 16th May 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Work thru the Charging System Checkout Sticky post and report your results here.
Know Thy Hog

Old 16th May 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 2004 Sportster 1200C
Redrocker is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I understand the guy that put the new generator on polarized it. Can I polarize it again or how do I check to see. Also is there a way to check the regulator to see if it is bad? The regulator is the only part that I haven't replace YET!
Old 16th May 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 78
IronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura about

You should polarize it anytime the battery gets disconnected. I would try this then see what you have for voltage at the battery while running at about 2000rpm, should be about 13.5. (you should see the needle on your volt meter drop to around 12 when you let the bike idle back down to around 900 or so rpm, you won't start charging until 2000or more) I beleive most of the imformation you need is in the charging sticky.
Old 16th May 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
78XLH_Newbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a good generator 9.5 so im changing out my regulator...same issue
Old 16th May 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 78
IronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura aboutIronHead78 has a spectacular aura about

If you are only getting 9.5 coming off the battery with a fully charged battery to start with, while running about 2000rpm. One or the other isn't working (reg. or gen). If your sure the generator is good, I would double check the wiring from the regulator to make sure it's connected right. If that checks out I myself would say the regulator is trash. Regulators are cheap compaired to a good generator.
Old 16th May 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrocker View Post
From what I understand the guy that put the new generator on polarized it. Can I polarize it again or how do I check to see. Also is there a way to check the regulator to see if it is bad? The regulator is the only part that I haven't replace YET!
I repeat ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
Work thru the Charging System Checkout Sticky post and report your results here.
This is important!!! Do not leave out any steps. Do the whole thing. Everything you need is in that procedure.
Know Thy Hog