The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Foxcreek Leather
Lickscycles
Fix My Hog
Biltwell

Dead Creek Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2007
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Flat Track Racer
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RIP 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
A 4 liter V8 eater has disabled reputation
Default Garmin Etrex problems on a pre '04

I have a Garmin Etrex-c and I installed it on my 1999 sportster last weekend. Unfortunately it won't stay on for long. I believe it is the vibrations that are causing it to intermittantley turn off. At first I thought it was the batterys shakin around in there so I wedged as much aluminum foil as I could in there to try and tighten them up. That didn't work so I then found that the screw that holds the handle bar clip on had worked loose, so I tightened that up. It still turns off when the revs get high and now it is so sensitive that if I flick the top of it, it turns off. I know I have seen a picture on here where somebody has an etrex mount to a pre '04 sportster and I was wondering if they have had the same problem.

Link to thread on "Harley Racing" events across the country: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=53470

These events include Hillclimbing, Flat Track Racing, Ice racing, Drag Racing, etc.. They are all sports dominated by Harley Davidsons. They are always located in scenic areas and are great weekend rides. The above link allows XLforum users to coordinate riding to these events together.
Old 27th March 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
rikava has disabled reputation

Call Garmin they have a very good customer service tell them your problem it just might be a simple fix
Old 27th March 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
rokclmb will become famous soon enoughrokclmb will become famous soon enoughrokclmb will become famous soon enoughrokclmb will become famous soon enoughrokclmb will become famous soon enoughrokclmb will become famous soon enoughrokclmb will become famous soon enough

I carry mine in the front pocket of my Icon Mil-Spec vest. It makes it hard (technically probably impossible) to read while riding. I can check it while stopped. Just to prevent it from falling out I have a lanyard that is clipped to the zipper of the vest.

"good spark + good air intake + good exhaust = horsepower + torque = fun!" Originally Posted by 883rnh
Old 27th March 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
spatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the roughspatial.hd is a jewel in the rough

I think the problems Rascal had with his digital camera applies to your GPS as well. The Etrex wasn't made for lots of vibes. Garmin does make some models for use in vehicles that might handle the vibration better.
[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][URL="http://www.freebase.com/view/guid/9202a8c04000641f8000000006fb5c28?domain=%2Fuser%2Fspatialed%2Fmotorcycle"]SHORT BUS ONE[/URL]

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]Love every mile: city, country, mountain, highway...
Old 27th March 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the e-Trex legend C that I mount on my handelbars. I have never had a problem, but then I am rubber mounted.
Know Thy Hog

Old 27th March 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Gone...
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Other Motorcycle Model: The Beast (M109R)
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
snowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud ofsnowman has much to be proud of

Yeah, no problem here either.....

I have a rubber mount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***RIP***
--Mr. JIMI
--JOHNNY G
--BryanEOD
Old 27th March 2007
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 03
Sportster/Buell Model #2: FLSTF FATBOY
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 07
Rob Henderson has a spectacular aura aboutRob Henderson has a spectacular aura aboutRob Henderson has a spectacular aura aboutRob Henderson has a spectacular aura aboutRob Henderson has a spectacular aura aboutRob Henderson has a spectacular aura aboutRob Henderson has a spectacular aura aboutRob Henderson has a spectacular aura aboutRob Henderson has a spectacular aura aboutRob Henderson has a spectacular aura aboutRob Henderson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Yeah, no problem here either.....

I have a rubber mount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rubber mounts are for sissys...LOLOLOL

Real men have bleeding kidneys...LOL