The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 2  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Motor Stage
DK Customs
Lowbrow Customs
883 Sportster

Motor Stage
Tags
comparison, performance, speed

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2009
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: None
Sportster/Buell Year: None
Kirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
I pretty much disagree with that whole post.

Vrods are obviously Harleys - but they're not TYPICAL Harleys or "air-cooled twins" so I left them out of the comparison for what I hope are obvious reasons. But they are still HARLEYS, albeit a new breed, but there's nothing wrong with that.

As for "interest in Harleys" I'd say the 1200N and 883N probably did more for "interest in Harleys" especially as of late than the Vrod ever did.

Same could be said for the Softails in the 90s, and the RK in the early 00s.
Rewind back to the late 90's (man, has it been 10 years already?) when the V-Rod was in it's final stages of development. The motorcycle community was in an absolute up-roar over the new "Water-Cooled Harley." In that time, gas was cheap, and the economy was great. A bike of that price did very well. And, I know I saw more V-Rods pop up in that small town of Wichita Falls at that time than I ever did the "Nightster," in '07.

Just sayin...that's my experience in Texas, which can be completely different than you New England Yuppies... I keed, I keed...

Maybe interest in Harley was greater from the Nightster, but the V-Rod sure did stir things up a lot more...

Even so, the greater interest in a couple of Sportsters sorta proves my point about whether it's TRULY a Harley.

As far as "being" a Harley, well, yeah, it's a Harley. BUT, Harley far too often falls back on its tradition than ingenuity. People are interested in Harley because they're (they're not their) loud, big, and inefficient. Like a big truck. It's not a "traditional" Harley, in that sense...

Again...that's the Texas mentality...as for the rest of the country...

Off Topic: http://www.theonion.com/content/news..._s_border_wall
Old 22nd May 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB750SS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
crustyxpunk is an unknown quantity at this point

In response to your question the slowest Harley is the stock 883, BUT after you throw a 1200 or 1250 kit on it and some other work it quickly becomes one of the fastest
883--->1250 NRHS 10:1 kit, 1200R heads, Energy One extra plate clutch, Thundervolt wires, Accel plugs, V/H Short shots, HurricaneFlow A/C, Clubman bars, homemade primo bike pedal highway pegs, and moved all the stock handlebar controls to the battery cover....always a work in progress
Old 23rd May 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Shaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the roughShaft is a jewel in the rough

Interesting question with some interesting answers.

Personally I think the VRod is a Harley. It just doesn't have a lot of the characteristics that draw many of the same buyers to showrooms that the more traditional models do. Tradition being a key element.
Old 23rd May 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

I would like to race a Vrod with mine just to see how I would do. They have a few more HP but more weight too, I think it would be a close race.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil
Old 23rd May 2009
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: None
Sportster/Buell Year: None
Kirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterT View Post
I would like to race a Vrod with mine just to see how I would do. They have a few more HP but more weight too, I think it would be a close race.
Yeah, the VRod's got about 100 lbs more...
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd May 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
RIstretch96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well then if a V-Rod is not a Harley-Davidson then how do you explain a Buell?
Old 23rd May 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Gone
Don Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant futureDon Burton has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Just sayin...that's my experience in Texas, which can be completely different than you New England Yuppies... I keed, I keed...
Somebody's gotta tell ya that Pennsylvania (where Kev lives) ain't part of New England!
Old 23rd May 2009
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 02
mudnutt is on a distinguished roadmudnutt is on a distinguished roadmudnutt is on a distinguished road

If a Jap V-twin is an imitation Harley is a V-Rod then an imitation Jap bike?

Deck
Old 23rd May 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
salvadorfrieri is on a distinguished roadsalvadorfrieri is on a distinguished roadsalvadorfrieri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnutt View Post
If a Jap V-twin is an imitation Harley is a V-Rod then an imitation Jap bike?Deck
Good question! Let's see if anybody can answer this one...
Old 23rd May 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB750SS
Other Motorcycle Year: 1978
crustyxpunk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstretch96 View Post
Well then if a V-Rod is not a Harley-Davidson then how do you explain a Buell?
The Buell was started as its own separate entity by Erik Buell (ex Harley engineer) in the 1980's using Harley sportster power plants to power their bikes. Only later becoming a subsidiary of Harley Davidson. So in my opinion (and that of others) a buell is not wholly a Harley Davidson, yes it does have a Harley engine (the new 1125 does not) but the other parts are totally unique Buell designs.

With that said to me a V-ROD is a Harley because it is made by Harley. Chevy makes the f$&%ing corvette but they also make the cavalier.

This subject can be argued back and forth forever, which it has been, many many many many times.

[QUOTE=If a Jap V-twin is an imitation Harley is a V-Rod then an imitation Jap bike?[/QUOTE]

Well Honda did come out with the first "Sport" bike in 1969 with the CB750 inline 4 cylinder. Now if the V-ROD had an inline 4 I would definitely say it is an imitation of a Jap bike, but otherwise not really. Are Ducati's and Triumphs imitation Jap sport bikes?
Know Thy Hog