The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lickscycles  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
Lowbrow Customs
Lickscycles
Figure Machine
Energy One Clutches

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2009
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CT-90
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
hogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enough
Question Painting.. 1500 grit or Scotchbrite pad

I have gotten several different opinions from folks around home; whats better when finish sanding after paint, wet sand with 1500 or 2000 grit paper or using a greenie (scotchbrite pad)?? I'm not looking to win any paint job contests but I don't want it to look like a first grader painted my bike.

Opinions from the experts???
Old 24th May 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
CaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura about

Do you mean the clearcoat? Final color should not be sanded and hit with clear as soon as it flashes. If its orange peeled bad then sand to flat with 600 or 1000 then top it with color then on to clear. If clear gets problems use 1500 then 2000 then recoat clear once more then buff. Lots of clean water rinsing both paper and paint to keep off particals that can scratch.

If ya dont have a buffer and need one, if ya arent too far from Oly I can help.
Old 24th May 2009
Know It All

hogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enoughhogmoss will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBligh View Post
Do you mean the clearcoat? Final color should not be sanded and hit with clear as soon as it flashes. If its orange peeled bad then sand to flat with 600 or 1000 then top it with color then on to clear. If clear gets problems use 1500 then 2000 then recoat clear once more then buff. Lots of clean water rinsing both paper and paint to keep off particals that can scratch.

If ya dont have a buffer and need one, if ya arent too far from Oly I can help.
I was told to wet sand the final color coat before the clear is applied, is that not the best way??

I'm a couple of hours from Olympia I think, Tri-Cities.
Old 24th May 2009
Flat Track Champion

CaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura about

Is it a solid color or pearl/flake
Old 24th May 2009
Know It All

Quote:
Is it a solid color or pearl/flake
Solid, semi-gloss black and antique(ish) white.
Know Thy Hog

Old 24th May 2009
Flat Track Champion

With any sort of black gloss no sanding before clear as it will dull and turn to satin. Plus using a paper finer than 600 is what you would use for final grit before color for best adhesion with a adhesion/primer promoter that will fill the 600 so it wont show.

But with the 2 tone ya almost have to sand to blend the 2 colors flat so a seam doesnt show. So if it has to be then use 1500 or 2000. 2000 would be better as it removes so little at a time and wont take too much sheen off the black. The trick is to get the least amount of paint on to cover and not build it up at the seam so ya dont have to sand too much.

Just did my rear fender with a bomb. A dented black ebay donor, So I can keep my stock intact.
Old 24th May 2009
Know It All

Quote:
With any sort of black gloss no sanding before clear as it will dull and turn to satin. Plus using a paper finer than 600 is what you would use for final grit before color for best adhesion with a adhesion/primer promoter that will fill the 600 so it wont show.

But with the 2 tone ya almost have to sand to blend the 2 colors flat so a seam doesnt show. So if it has to be then use 1500 or 2000. 2000 would be better as it removes so little at a time and wont take too much sheen off the black. The trick is to get the least amount of paint on to cover and not build it up at the seam so ya dont have to sand too much.

Just did my rear fender with a bomb. A dented black ebay donor, So I can keep my stock intact.
Thanks for the input, I'll give it a try and post a pic. Nice bike!!!! I like the color choice!!!
Old 24th May 2009
Flat Track Champion

If you are doing the clear coat use 1500 it will give a better finish for adhesion of the clear to the paint just be carefull and go slow with it.