The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Biltwell  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
gp9739 (70), danbango (67), andyman1958 (56), 55 Jr (53), Love2FixIt (45), keywan (43), C Dubya (40), CA71xlch (39)
Foxcreek Leather
NHRS Performance
Bison Motorsports
RYCA Motors

Energy One Clutches
Tags
fuel, fuel milage, gas, milage, nightster

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th May 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Harley Modster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: 1976 Yamaha XS650
nightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the rough
Default Nightster/Sportster Fuel Milage

Hey Guys, Since I've bought my '09 Nightster back in August of '08 I've always been re-setting my trip meter every time I fill up to see the milage I've been getting on each tank. Im getting about 130Km -140Km per tank. Up here in Canada we are on the metric system so our bikes are measured in Kilometers. That is roughly 80-85 Miles per tank. I was told at the HD shop that I should be getting approx. 200Km per tank or about 124 Miles per tank. I'm always filling my bike with a good premium 91+ fuel and I also have a power commander which supposedly helps fuel efficiency. Im also running a Vance and Hines RSD 2-into-1 exhaust and a Vance and Hines RSD Air Cleaner. Does the extra mod's help or ruin fuel milage? Will Mod's like these really run my fuel down an extra 60-80Km per tank? Most of my Km's are put on through city driving and the occasional drive to work when the weather calls for it (I live in Lethbridge, AB, Canada so the riding season basically just started) What kind of milage are you guys getting on your bikes? City or highway driving? Should I worry about this? Any tips or other ideas when it comes to improving fuel milage?
Old 24th May 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
xlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the rough

Try not resetting your trip meter for 3-4 tanks and mark down how much fuel you put in each time. After 3-4 tanks figure it then that will be a better average of your mileage, it will combine city, hwy, days with more stop/go and days with less. You can change your riding style day by day. How many miles do you have on your bike now? Are you still within the break in miles?
Old 24th May 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Harley Modster
Other Motorcycle Model: 1976 Yamaha XS650
nightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the roughnightkid3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcruser View Post
Try not resetting your trip meter for 3-4 tanks and mark down how much fuel you put in each time. After 3-4 tanks figure it then that will be a better average of your mileage, it will combine city, hwy, days with more stop/go and days with less. You can change your riding style day by day. How many miles do you have on your bike now? Are you still within the break in miles?

Ya thanks - good idea. I've never really thought of that. Ill make sure not to reset my trip meter everytime. I have about 3650Km on my bike right now. I just recently had a Vance and Hines fuel pak on my bike as well and quickly removed it as I was told that these fuelpaks are very hard on a bike.and can void the warranty if I ever have any engine troubles. Once removed I added a SE power commander and I can already tell that my bikes improved in power and on fuel economy. Not that I bought the bike because I was worried about fuel consumption but It just had me a little baffled.
Old 24th May 2009
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Mileage does very depending on tuning, rider habits, elevation, city or highway..

I've gotten low 90's to 130 range on a tank full with the 3.5 gallon tank, I also try to stop at big name gas
stations to avoid most that use 10% ethanol mixed in if that matters, but it does make me feel better..

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

The wind, weather, and two wheels...what else do you need??
Old 24th May 2009
CANUKSTER

Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Lenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to wait for 3 - 4 tanks to figure out an average over the long term. Every time you fill up, figure out your mileage. After 4 tanks, just add up you 4 miles per gallon figures and divide by 4.

Funnily enough, I just did this before turning on my computer and see ing your thread. Over the last four tanks, I'm averaging 33.99 miles per gallon. I'm in Calgary, so our elevation and fuel should be comparable.

I've been worried about my mileage since doing my stage one last spring. Before stage one, I used to get about 300 KM out of a tank of gas (somewhat into reserve), and now I'm around 230 KM per tank (4.5 gallon).

Given the extra power of the stage one, I'm sure the fun factor of twisting the throttle has affected my mileage, but I thought it would be less than it was, especially after reading that so many people are still getting 45 - 50 miles per gallon after stage one.

I would think that fuel injection would do better than a carb miles-per-gallon-wise.
Lenster's 1250 2006 XL1250C, Hammer Crush Heads, 15 Degree Pistons, 10.5:1 CR, S&S Roller Rockers, Fixed Length Pushrods, Jim's Powerglide II Hydraulic Lifters, RedShift 585 Cams, Energy 1 Clutch w/ 15% Stronger Spring, Hammer Performance Billet Intake Manifold, Mikuni HSR 45, Offset Crush AC, RB Racing LSR 2:1 Exhaust and a Daytona Twin Tec TC88A with a Kickass Map by Rico 05R.

Know Thy Hog

Old 24th May 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster 1200 remains
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Bobbed87 is on a distinguished roadBobbed87 is on a distinguished road

I get about 53mpg(about 160 a tank) highway and like 34 city cause i ride hard in the city on my 08 Nightster with V&H Short Shot, SE Stage 1 intake, and a remap.
Old 25th May 2009
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Lenster
especially after reading that so many people are still getting 45 - 50 miles per gallon after stage one.

I've routinely have had 45-50+ miles per gallon days with a stage 1 carbed bike
Old 25th May 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883R w/ 1200 Pro Street
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: GSX-R1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
Pacific1200 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your loaded map in the pc3 or which ever might be on the rich side. You can use the software you look at what is loaded in you powercommander. Generally I think downloadable maps are richer since they concern less restrictive exhaust. It's better than leaner which could heat and burn engine. Look for different maps for your bike. You can always look at what maps you download with out hooking up to the bike. Doing so you'll be able to compair between different maps like your stock map.

Your only choice for getting map right is having the bike dyno tuned for the map. Then the map might not be too different than whats loaded now. So eh whatevers. You can get just the dyno run where it will show power, torque and fuel flow being lean or rich in a line format.

There was an update for my pc3 firmware and it is highly adviseable to do it. Matter of fact do it if your model has a firmware update available. My GSX-R1000 would fall flat on its face with an FI light when flying past 8000 rpms. Not fun when going for the gusto.

Oh yah if your bike is in the break in proccess its just a caase of the rings aren't set and you'll burn more gas during that period. Hvae fun.
Make sure you do the compair maps using your bikes loaded map and what is the stock map in the companies files for download.
Old 25th May 2009
CANUKSTER

Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Lenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond reputeLenster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbed87 View Post
I get about 53mpg(about 160 a tank) highway and like 34 city cause i ride hard in the city on my 08 Nightster with V&H Short Shot, SE Stage 1 intake, and a remap.
I haven't done any full tanks on the highway, my mileage is city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xllent01 View Post

I've routinely have had 45-50+ miles per gallon days with a stage 1 carbed bike
Highway? What would it be City?
Old 25th May 2009
Senior Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: None
Sportster/Buell Year: None
Kirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to allKirk the Jerk is a name known to all

Try calculating your fuel mileage, i.e.; fill up, reset your tripometer, and next time you fill up, take note of how much you put in, and how many miles you've gone since.

Are you saying you get that mileage before your fuel light comes on? Because my light is overly sensitive, and this is fairly common. It should go off with .8 gallons left, but mine goes off when I've got about 1.3 gallons left. I have plenty of gas left when I hit the 90-100 miles mark. And at a stretch one time, about 130 miles on one tank, I didn't put more than 2.8 gallons in it to fill 'er up.
Know Thy Hog