The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
DK Customs
Motor Stage
Dead Creek Cycles
RYCA Motors

Energy One Clutches
Closed Thread

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
melcheld has disabled reputation
Default Locaton of Engine Serial Number

Hey All,

Can someone tell me where the serial number is on the engine (2001)? I'm changing the registration on my bike to Minnesota (sigh) and they need the VIN off the frame neck AND the motor's serial. I searched but on found a lot of threads about serial numbers when switching out engines.

Thanks in advance.

Luke
Now if I have suspicion a felony's been committed, I can just walk right in here anytime I feel like it because I've got this badge, I got this gun, and I got the love of Jesus right here in my pretty, green eyes.
Old 27th May 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
tensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of light

im thinking right side between cylinders just abone timing cover. ??
Old 27th May 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XL converted to 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough94Sporty is a jewel in the rough

The abbreviated VIN is located at the base of the cylinders on the left side above the primary. There is also an engine serial number but it is real hard to see. One location is on the bottom of the crankcase, in front of the oil pump. The hoses coming out of the oil pump are generally in the way. It is also stamped on the left crankcase somewhere inside the primary. The engine serial number can tell you what type of engine it is, what day it was built and where. Roger
Old 27th May 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
melcheld has disabled reputation

Thanks much for the help. I'll have to get the bike up on the lift and see what I can see. I missed the # at the cylinder base.
Closed Thread