The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Biltwell
Speedway Instruments
Speedway Instruments
Dead Creek Cycles

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1989
Other Motorcycle Model: roadstar
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
silvasilv is on a distinguished roadsilvasilv is on a distinguished roadsilvasilv is on a distinguished road
Default chain tension... on a rigid

since i put my rigid struts, the chain on my 89 is now pretty damn loose

im bout to get myself a motion pro chain breaker/riveter so i can get it fixed up to ride, but im wondering now how tight the chain should be since my bike is rigid?
i know that when the bike has suspension the chain gets to be all sorts of different tensions while you are riding, but mine isnt going to flex anymore

so can some1 fill me in on what i should be lookin for tension wise on a rigid
Old 1st June 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1203 XLH/Buell Hybrid
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold
Cool

I would say that the adjustment would be similar to a chain on a bike with suspension, other than "the weight of one rider while adjusting".
1/4" deflection along the lower run between front and rear sprocket at the tightest point on the chain.
Old 2nd June 2009

williamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to beholdwilliamv1203 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvasilv View Post
since i put my rigid struts, the chain on my 89 is now pretty damn loose

im bout to get myself a motion pro chain breaker/riveter so i can get it fixed up to ride, but im wondering now how tight the chain should be since my bike is rigid?
i know that when the bike has suspension the chain gets to be all sorts of different tensions while you are riding, but mine isnt going to flex anymore

so can some1 fill me in on what i should be lookin for tension wise on a rigid

Last edited by williamv1203; 2nd June 2009 at 17:42..
Old 2nd June 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

I'd set it a little more loose, like around 1/2" to 3/4" at its tightest point.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 2nd June 2009
Greasemonkey

silvasilv is on a distinguished roadsilvasilv is on a distinguished roadsilvasilv is on a distinguished road

its about an inch or so right now its definitely pretty loose as i dont have a chain breaker/riveter yet...some one suggested i put on a tensioner so i dont get as much chain slap

anyone have any experience with this
http://www.lbvengchaintensioners.com...sportster.html
Know Thy Hog

Old 2nd June 2009
Devoted Life Behind Barz

Sportster/Buell Model: Highly modified 1200 c
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHX H-D Street glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
xllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond reputexllent01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
I'd set it a little more loose, like around 1/2" to 3/4" at its tightest point.
Yep, this is about perfect..the rest is too tight??

When life throws a curve...lean into it and open the throttle

The wind, weather, and two wheels...what else do you need??
Old 2nd June 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

I bought one of those a few months ago, but it didn't work on my bike as designed - the roller touched my rear tire. It was a quality piece and would probably work well in a custom situation, though. I returned mine for a refund from a seller on eBay - he had a much cheaper price than anyone else. I can't really see the need for one on a rigid, though. Just take a couple of links out of your chain if it's at the end of the adjusters and isn't stretched & worn out.

Old 2nd June 2009
Greasemonkey

chain is brand new maybe 40 miles on it, the guy replaced it when i picked up bike from him, i guess ill get myself a chain tool and give her just a little slack
thanks a lot
Old 3rd June 2009

Cool

Quote:
chain is brand new maybe 40 miles on it, the guy replaced it when i picked up bike from him, i guess ill get myself a chain tool and give her just a little slack
thanks a lot
Do you not have adjusters on the frame for the rear wheel? Increase the slack by loosening off, move wheel forward a bit, re-tighten...
Old 6th June 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1990
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha 500 single
Other Motorcycle Year: 1982
King Herald is on a distinguished roadKing Herald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thanks a lot
Chain tool? You adjust it with the rear axle adjusters, not by cutting and shortening the chain.

Move the wheel back 1/8" and your chain will be tight.

If it was a new chain it will break in initially, then settle down like any chain does.