The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Get Lowered Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
Biltwell
Burly
Foxcreek Leather

Licks Cycles

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Leadsled has disabled reputation
Default adding run light to brake turn.

I just thought I'd let you guys know I figured out a easy trick For those of you like myself who have the module for turn/ brakes only I just added taillights to it real quick and easy. All that was needed was to swap out the middle of the socket for one with two pins and hook the second wire to the factory taillight wire or the orange aux light wire. All of the 11 series bulbs these bikes have are the same socket size so the middle is inter changable only major thing to do is widen the bulb holes on the sides to account for the dual filement offset. I will see about posting some pics of the process tonight.

[B]2004 883[/B]
Old 11th April 2007
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
SpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond repute

you will have to be careful when you change bulbs. The 1157 type bulb is dual filament, with two contacts at the base of the bulb. If you hold the bulb up so you can see the two small tangs at the base, you will note that one is offset or higher than the other. This is to insure the bulb is placed in the socket correctly. One of the filaments is designed for the tail or running light while the other is designed for the brake or turn siginal. The base of the socket is set up for an 1156 bulb, which is one contact and both tangs on the base set at the same height (you can put this in either way).
Does this make sense? If not, hold the 1156 and 1157 next to each other and study the base....the socket is built to accept one and not the other.

"If you're looking for sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."

Old Bubba of the Booze Junkies MC
Old 11th April 2007
Biker

Thanks I am aware of that, thats why holes in the holder need to be modified slightly. I'll get some pictures up to clarify everything soon.
Old 11th April 2007

SpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond reputeSpartanDen has a reputation beyond repute

10-4 on that. Sometimes one does not know these things....seems like now days people don't understand some of these little things. I have seen many a bulb put in backwards and they don't understand why?!
I preferred to leave mine just brake and t/s only. I figure (hope) that the extra 2 lights flashing on for brakes will get their attention.
Good luck and good thinking on your project. Let me know what you think when you are done.
Old 11th April 2007
Biker

I hear ya on the little things I'm a mechanic and you would not believe the simple lack off attention things that cause people heartache that I've seen. Not saying I'm not prone to it myself thats why I appreciate the input.
Know Thy Hog

Old 11th April 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: harley flhx
Other Motorcycle Year: 07
rickxx will become famous soon enoughrickxx will become famous soon enoughrickxx will become famous soon enoughrickxx will become famous soon enoughrickxx will become famous soon enoughrickxx will become famous soon enoughrickxx will become famous soon enough

i swaped out the rears with a set of fronts (3 wire housings)...made a splice to the running light wire at the brake like you did.
Old 11th April 2007

Rickxx.... any way to get a better pic of your rear end? The bikes, not yours, dammit!!
I'm looking at moving my rear t/s back to the rear fender and that is one of the options I am looking at. If you can't, that's fine. But I think from what I can see, that is essentially the same set up I'm considering.
Old 11th April 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha Virago XV 700
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Gold951 will become famous soon enoughGold951 will become famous soon enoughGold951 will become famous soon enoughGold951 will become famous soon enoughGold951 will become famous soon enoughGold951 will become famous soon enoughGold951 will become famous soon enoughGold951 will become famous soon enough

Only one problem here: The rear "running" lights (AKA tail lights) MUST be RED and the turn signals MUST be amber. This does not apply to the front lights, only to the rears.
ICC USN (Ret.)
Old 11th April 2007
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold951 View Post
Only one problem here: The rear "running" lights (AKA tail lights) MUST be RED and the turn signals MUST be amber. This does not apply to the front lights, only to the rears.
Not in NY...

I, as well as dozens of others I know have rear running lights that are amber.....

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting