The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Burly  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
Ironworks Magazine
Biltwell
Energy One Clutches
Energy One Clutches

Sky Smith Insurance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
harley75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default drag pipes and ported heads

I have 1-3/4 drag pipes now with the heads being ported i was told to run open.But drag pipes are 5-7 thou in rpm now if i put 4' baffels in the pipe 6 inchs will this effect my jetting at all as far as low and mid power
Old 7th June 2009
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 93 Cubic Inch XLH
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
fdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nice

Put lollipops in the drag pipes for better bottom and mid range performance.
93 Cubic Inches..3.635 Bore x 4.50 Stroke...Baisley Roller Rockers...Dual Plug Heads Ported With XLR Valves...Chrome Moly Pushrods...Andrews AX Grind Cams .550 Lift...Venolia Pistons...Total Seal Gapless Rings...Balanced S&S Rods & Flywheels...Blitz Steel Barrels...Billet Oil Pump...K&N O2 Sensors...S&S Super E Carb...Crane Fireball Multi Spark Ignition...All Andrews Trans Gears & Shafts...Strociek Billet Trap Door...Barnett Kevlar Wet/Dry Clutch...Motorsport Rear Motor Mount...High Torque Starter...100 Plus HP
Old 7th June 2009
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdny37 View Post
Put lollipops in the drag pipes for better bottom and mid range performance.
I heard about that and it gave info on how to make them but i forget where i seen it.Do they still go 6'' in the pipe
Old 7th June 2009
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 93 Cubic Inch XLH
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1968
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Limited
Other Motorcycle Year: 2014
fdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nicefdny37 is just really nice

My pipes had a hole about 4" from the very end of the pipe or just in line with the slash cut. I think putting them that far in would make it very difficult to install and work with. I have slash cut pipes and the lollipop is at the beginning of the opening of the pipe. You might have to drill a hole on the backside of the pipe.
Old 7th June 2009
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdny37 View Post
My pipes had a hole about 4" from the very end of the pipe or just in line with the slash cut. I think putting them that far in would make it very difficult to install and work with. I have slash cut pipes and the lollipop is at the beginning of the opening of the pipe. You might have to drill a hole on the backside of the pipe.
I have a hole right back from the slash cut that was in there i guess when they made the pipes.I'll have to find the info on making them
Know Thy Hog

Old 7th June 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1968
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLC
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: FXSTD
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
superwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of lightsuperwarden is a glorious beacon of light

You can just go buy a couple of eye bolts, that is what I did. Just be carefull about the angle and such as they may squeak a little bit at certain throttle...At least mine do and I can't seem to get it to quit...
Old 7th June 2009
Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwarden View Post
You can just go buy a couple of eye bolts, that is what I did. Just be carefull about the angle and such as they may squeak a little bit at certain throttle...At least mine do and I can't seem to get it to quit...
turns out i had two in my box put them in on a 11-5:00 angle and tighten them up
Old 8th June 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportsters
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Oldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the rough
Default Lolly Pops

Two cents. What makes the washer of the lolly pop effective is not the area or shape, but the fact that they have sharp edges. If you want to cause turbulent air flow, make it pass over a sharp edge, the sharper the better. Tears the hell out of laminar flow and really breaks up pressure waves.

That's what makes straight cut AR cones work so well. Sharp edge around the opening. Sharp edge facing away from the engine.

Just two cents tossed in.