The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Lowbrow Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Superbrace.com
Motor Stage
S&S Cycle
DK Customs

Biltwell

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: Fatboy
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
scottsxl1200 has a brilliant futurescottsxl1200 has a brilliant futurescottsxl1200 has a brilliant futurescottsxl1200 has a brilliant futurescottsxl1200 has a brilliant futurescottsxl1200 has a brilliant futurescottsxl1200 has a brilliant futurescottsxl1200 has a brilliant futurescottsxl1200 has a brilliant futurescottsxl1200 has a brilliant futurescottsxl1200 has a brilliant future
Default Belt Replacement

Any idea on when to replace the drive belt? I heard a rider was thrown from their bike after a couple of teeth broke off their belt going down the highway.
Old 9th June 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Uly (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2009
Other Motorcycle Model: 2010 Ural Patrol(sold)
Phaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond reputePhaedrus has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like nonsense to me, belts do break, and quite a few have broken prematurely, usually when the bike is cold and put into gear. I would think a belt should last at least 30,000 k.

Here is some good bed time reading on the subject
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ad.php?t=14871
Old 9th June 2009
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Orange 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
brprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enoughbrprider will become famous soon enough

Best advice I can give you is to check the condition and adjustment of your belt everytime you check your tire pressures. Unless you get a rock or something similar thrown up between the belt and sprocket, your belt should last for MANY thousands of miles. I've never had a problem with any of my belts. I'm on my 4th Harley.
I had a shaft drive come close to locking up on a Suzuki once. but that was a manufacturer's defect.

I believe I'll start today...
Old 9th June 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

Yup, sounds like BS.

Personally, I've never broken or had to replace a belt. I think that if you don't abuse em, keep em tensioned properly and inspect them for wear you'll be fine.
Old 9th June 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi V750.
Other Motorcycle Year: 1988
mrlowlight has a spectacular aura aboutmrlowlight has a spectacular aura aboutmrlowlight has a spectacular aura aboutmrlowlight has a spectacular aura aboutmrlowlight has a spectacular aura aboutmrlowlight has a spectacular aura aboutmrlowlight has a spectacular aura aboutmrlowlight has a spectacular aura aboutmrlowlight has a spectacular aura aboutmrlowlight has a spectacular aura aboutmrlowlight has a spectacular aura about

I've got 35,000 kliks on my bike and the belt looks as good as new.

Old 9th June 2009
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

There are numerous threads on this subject, a few people have had repeated problems with belt breakage. The rest of us rarely if ever have a problem with it, even those of us pushing over 90 HP that repeatably do wheelies and burnouts. keep it adjusted properly (but not too tight) and you will probably never have a problem.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil
Old 9th June 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportsters
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Oldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the rough
Default Belt Life

Over 30,000 miles on mine, and I'm not gentle. I don't run on rocky roads, and I don't dump the clutch on a wet belt, like after washing.

Properly tensioned and barring rock or debris damage, these belts will easily go over 100,000 miles. All it takes is one rock caught between the belt and wheel sprocket to over-stress the belt. I don't ride in rocks.
Old 11th June 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Cyclone M2
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Unix is on a distinguished roadUnix is on a distinguished roadUnix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
Over 30,000 miles on mine, and I'm not gentle. I don't run on rocky roads, and I don't dump the clutch on a wet belt, like after washing.

Properly tensioned and barring rock or debris damage, these belts will easily go over 100,000 miles. All it takes is one rock caught between the belt and wheel sprocket to over-stress the belt. I don't ride in rocks.
yup, not too long ago i was riding on a gravel road (caused by road works) about 60km/h... and for a split second i heard a harsh metallic sound - i believe a small rock got caught in the pulley. After inspecting it at home, i noticed a half of 1 tooth chipped away in the belt.
Old 28th October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C 100th Anniversary E
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
parentevan is an unknown quantity at this point

Just finished installing Hi Comp pistons, Cams, intake, exhaust, and Thunderslide last month. Snapped a belt on Monday at just under 14k miles.
Old 29th October 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200L Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: flhtc
Other Motorcycle Year: 2009
scooterbe883 is a jewel in the roughscooterbe883 is a jewel in the roughscooterbe883 is a jewel in the roughscooterbe883 is a jewel in the roughscooterbe883 is a jewel in the roughscooterbe883 is a jewel in the roughscooterbe883 is a jewel in the roughscooterbe883 is a jewel in the roughscooterbe883 is a jewel in the roughscooterbe883 is a jewel in the roughscooterbe883 is a jewel in the rough

after reading my service manual, i dont see where a specific mileage is given. but it shows several conditions to watch for on the belt and describes whether to monitor or replace. basically, external tooth cracks, missing teeth, hook wear and stone damage..states to replace. hope this helps
Know Thy Hog