The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
Speedway Instruments
S&S Cycle
Motor Stage
Energy One Clutches

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Flat Track Racer
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RIP 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
A 4 liter V8 eater has disabled reputation
Default Sportster bit the dust

I was on my way to work today when after passing some traffic it started making a loud clanking from inside the engine. I've only put 4000 miles on the bike since I bought it (it already had 8000) and not many of them have been easy. My assumtion is it either dropped a valve or a connecting rod broke. I shut the bike down as soon as I could, but I'm sure however fast you shut it down it still isn't fast enough. The bike had the 6800 RPM ignition module in it, which still isn't anything insano high, but I still think I'm going to put the stock one back in before I take it to the dealership to have them do the warranty work on it. This whole episode has got be thinking about busting out the old credit card which I've finally paid off and giving NRHS a call. Although, assuming all goes well, I plan on have them do the warranty work, but now that I know how fragile the stock stuff is I would like to have the parts on hand for the next time this happens.

Lesson:

The fire inside my sportster's engine is writing checks the factory metal can't cash

Link to thread on "Harley Racing" events across the country: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=53470

These events include Hillclimbing, Flat Track Racing, Ice racing, Drag Racing, etc.. They are all sports dominated by Harley Davidsons. They are always located in scenic areas and are great weekend rides. The above link allows XLforum users to coordinate riding to these events together.
Old 18th April 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

Clacking could be a lifter that failed. Makes a hell of a noise, but probably not a lot of damage. Good luck.
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars
Old 18th April 2007
US NAVY Vet, ADR2

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1994
Other Motorcycle Model: FXD SuperGlide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
FSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the roughFSZEKE302 is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to hear that, keep us posted on what they find. Hope you're back up soon, Zeke.

US NAVY Vet, ADR2
Old 18th April 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: FXDL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Honda ST1300
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB1100F (Two)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
bmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura about

Is that the bike in your signature? If so, what kind of warranty do you have on a bike that old?

2008 Gold Wing
2007 HD FXDL
1998 Blackbird
1983 CB1100F
Old 18th April 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Flat Track Racer
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: RIP 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
A 4 liter V8 eater has disabled reputation

When I bought it from the dealership they through in a 1 year extended warranty. Beets me how they could do that on an 8 year old bike but they did and he through it in for free. For those of you that live in the DC area, Bingo at Rockville Harley Davidson/Battley Cycles is amazing to deal with.

From my experience, a failed lifter sounds closer to a ticking than a clanking. I have experienced cronic lifter problems on an old AMC V8 I had and that is the experience I am speaking of. I loved keeping that POS alive. Stuff like this is what draws me to archaic american vehicles.
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th April 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by A 4 liter V8 eater View Post
From my experience, a failed lifter sounds closer to a ticking than a clanking. I have experienced cronic lifter problems on an old AMC V8 I had and that is the experience I am speaking of. I loved keeping that POS alive. Stuff like this is what draws me to archaic american vehicles.
The first major failure my bike ever had was a lifter at about 28,000 miles. It did start out as a slight ticking sound that lasted about a day. Then the needle bearings in the roller fell out and trust me, it started making a very loud clacking sound. I'm talking, loud metalic, clacking.

If it is a lifter, it's probably the front intake.
Old 18th April 2007
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Jt1200r has disabled reputation

dang dude. get her fixed. i'll be at rockville May 27th for the wall ride
Old 18th April 2007
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: FXDL
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Honda ST1300
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CB1100F (Two)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1983
bmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura aboutbmcdonau has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by A 4 liter V8 eater View Post
When I bought it from the dealership they through in a 1 year extended warranty. Beets me how they could do that on an 8 year old bike but they did and he through it in for free. For those of you that live in the DC area, Bingo at Rockville Harley Davidson/Battley Cycles is amazing to deal with.
Man, you are a lucky dog.
Old 18th April 2007
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sold
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
ed_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of lighted_in_az is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
The first major failure my bike ever had was a lifter at about 28,000 miles. It did start out as a slight ticking sound that lasted about a day. Then the needle bearings in the roller fell out and trust me, it started making a very loud clacking sound. I'm talking, loud metalic, clacking.

If it is a lifter, it's probably the front intake.
Ya got me wondering, when the above happens, how bad are the damages? Since the lifters are an eventual failure point how bad do they mess stuff up when they fail?
Well ... that explains a lot.
Old 18th April 2007
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

I do not think this is a lifter issue. I have a feeling his pinion gear came loose and spun causing the valves to hit the pistons.
www.nrhsperformance.com

AMA 1350cc M-PG record holder @167.452 mph.
faster than the BNI record too.
Know Thy Hog