The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Zipper's Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Lowbrow Customs
DK Customs
Get Lowered
Fix My Hog

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
johnnyjellybean is on a distinguished roadjohnnyjellybean is on a distinguished roadjohnnyjellybean is on a distinguished roadjohnnyjellybean is on a distinguished road
Default Buying another one! Who's using synthetic in an iron head and what weight?

I've owned 5 sportsters in my lifetime.... a 72 , 74, 76 , 77 (brand new) and a 79 (took it on a trade) and it looks like I'm getting a nice, clean, relatively unmolested 75 (converted back to right side shift) Is anyone using synthetics in sporties now and if so what weight?

1st post by the way !
Old 12th June 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: '75 hardtail
Sportster/Buell Year: yes
Sportster/Buell Model #2: honda shadow
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2000
Other Motorcycle Model: 1964 suzuki hill billy 80
mikefealk is on a distinguished roadmikefealk is on a distinguished road

welcome from spokane, washington. theres been quite a few threads about syn oil in ironheads. I believe the overall consenses was no thanks.
Old 12th June 2009
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant futureIronMick has a brilliant future

Welcome! to the Ironhead/XLForum.

Lots of recent talk about using straight 40/50/60 dino oils, depending on air temperature.
Old 12th June 2009
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: Heritage Softail
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
BuckIRyder has disabled reputation

Use fossil 50wt. in the engine, synthetic 20/50 in the trans.
Old 12th June 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

johnnyjellybean is on a distinguished roadjohnnyjellybean is on a distinguished roadjohnnyjellybean is on a distinguished roadjohnnyjellybean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckIRyder View Post
Use fossil 50wt. in the engine, synthetic 20/50 in the trans.
They'll land up mixing a bit no? Isn't there a breather hole that vents pressure?
Know Thy Hog

Old 12th June 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS
Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
jpironhead is on a distinguished roadjpironhead is on a distinguished road

I will pass along this advice from a very trusted master mechanic, master machininst, and land speed record holder (on an ironhead) who had about 30 years experience working on old-iron and I had the pleasure of studying under.

"I strongly discourage you from using synthetic in your ironhead. On a molecular level, synthetic oils are engineered with much smaller molecules than dino oils, which in turn makes them slicker. This allows the nonsealed older styles of bearings to skate inside of the races. This inturn causes heat and brinelling. If you want to get the most out of your bottom end, use dino. No blends. Straight 50w up to about 95 deg days then 60w."

As far as the primary....they make sportlube for that. Dig it.

Oh, that breather hole. My advice...plug it.
Old 12th June 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

The old tale that synth causes rollers to skate has been proven myth long ago.
But synth in loose-clearanced old twins does rattle a lot and tend to burn a lot, this I found from experience. And synth in the gearbox of an Iron head I found makes the clutch slip.

Plug what breather hole? The bottom end and the gearbox both need to breathe.
Old 12th June 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 72
gunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of lightgunterjaeger is a glorious beacon of light

Plug the breather????? This almost sounds insane, but shit, thats where most of my oily mess is coming from. Can you really do this?
Old 12th June 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunterjaeger View Post
Plug the breather????? This almost sounds insane, but shit, thats where most of my oily mess is coming from. Can you really do this?
No you can't. Go to the techincal stickies index at the top of the forum and look up the Engine Breather 101 thread. It will explain what is causing the oily mess out your breather and how to fix it.

If you plug the crankcase breather, all that pressure will come out the next easiest place, usually a gasket or points seal etc. Plus it robs you of several horsepower as the lower end of the engine acts as a big air compressor.
Old 12th June 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1000
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda Spree
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Shadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enoughShadowdog500 will become famous soon enough

I think he means to plug the transver valve between the case and the primary. If it goes bad, and your bike wet sumps, allot if not all of the oil winds up in the primary. HD finally blocked it off perminentaly in '77. Last winter my '75 wet sumped and all of my oil wound up in the primary because it went through the transfer valve.

I would not plug the breather, as Hopper said, bad things would happen.

Chris

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it,
no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own
reason and your own common sense."
-Buddha (536 B.C.-483 B.C.)
Know Thy Hog