The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum S&S Cycle  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
Figure Machine
Fix My Hog
Superbrace
Motor Stage

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl
rholmes4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 02 Mags on a 05 Sportster

Ok so I previously received a set of chrome wheels that I adapted and put on my 2002 sportster and placed my stock wheels in storage. My girlfriend recently bought a 05 sportster and I was going to powerdcoat my old stock wheels black so we can black her bike out. (her bike has spokes on it and we both aren’t the biggest fans of them)

I have no issue with making the front wheel work but I have one with the rear. There are a few options I have and I wanted to get someone else's opinion before I moved forward with one of them or maybe someone can enlighten me with a better way.

First off the issue is that the 02 wheel had a 3/4" axle while the 05" had a 1" axle.

Now I can solve the problem by getting 1” bearings but then I would run into another issue. The 1” inner wheel spacer will not fit into the 02 sportster wheel that was made for the ¾” axle. Now I could have the inside of the wheel machine to accept the larger 1" wheel spacer (the metal tube that goes on the inside of the wheel). And then the wheel would work fine.

Another option is to buy a 3/4" axle and spacers fit the wheel. But I would also have to buy new wheel adjusters and I would have to find some sort of wheel spacer that had a 3/4" ID and 1" OD to fit between the axle and the brake caliper mount.

Another option which seems skeptical to me that someone told me they have done is just get new 1" id bearings and run the wheel without an inner wheel spacer. They would require no other work but I would think the weight on the bearings would cause them to wear out way faster.

So my question is what would you do. . .
Old 17th June 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Jason's Sporty is on a distinguished roadJason's Sporty is on a distinguished roadJason's Sporty is on a distinguished roadJason's Sporty is on a distinguished roadJason's Sporty is on a distinguished road

The new style bearings are pressed in till they bottom out right? I don't know how bearing preload is established on the new ones but on the old school tapered bearings that spacer had a few set lengths to determine preload. I would check the books to make sure.
Old 17th June 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200 thunderstorm
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 low low low
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 06
hatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura about

I had the same problem when I put a softail wheel on my 06 this year. I too was gonna "let it go" without the inner spacer and see what happened - but I knew the answer already - without the inner support on the bearing surface the sideloads will wear the bearings out much faster than I wanted to mess with.
So, keeping the 1" axle, I bored out the wheel myself with a dremel too and some patience to match the outside diameter of the inner spacer. If I weren't so hard headed, a machine shop could have done this easily.
Old 18th June 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 00 M2 Buell
Appo is on a distinguished roadAppo is on a distinguished roadAppo is on a distinguished road

I'm putting a 2001 fxd 3/4 inch rear mag on a 05 1200c sporty. Seems like the fix is putting in 1 inch 05 xl bearings after reaming the wheel to accept the 1 inch internal wheel spacer. Anybody have a part number for that 1 inch internal wheel spacer??
Old 18th June 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

I see it's your first post. Hello from Pittsburgh and welcome to the XLForum.

Use the search at the bottom of this page. Several people have done this mod.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.
Know Thy Hog

Old 19th June 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: 00 M2 Buell
Appo is on a distinguished roadAppo is on a distinguished roadAppo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info !! Flagstaff Arizona here.. my other bike is a 2000 Buell M2 with lots of work.. open 2 into 1 race megaphone, Andrew n4's and many other parts.. lots of fun but not very compfy on the road as I'm 57 years old.. so I recently bought a 2005 1200c with 1,100 miles on it and making it my travel bike Appo
Old 19th June 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: xl
rholmes4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the boost of confidence hatter, I was already set on going that route and since you have already done it I am not skeptical ne more. All it will cost me now is a 12 pack to my friend for the machining and the wheels will be ready to mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appo View Post
Anybody have a part number for that 1 inch internal wheel spacer??
The part number is OEM # 43517-00 and the JP CYCLE # 201-144

And Thanks for the welcoming BOB, I will search the forum more vigorously for answers before I create a new post in the future.
Old 19th June 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200 thunderstorm
Sportster/Buell Year: 96
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 low low low
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 06
hatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura abouthatter has a spectacular aura about

no prob., good luck
Old 19th June 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm 57 years old.
Me too. Started riding on the street in 1968.