The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Members Birthdays
nate74, daPainta (63), BobboJama (61), whoopeekat (60), steelbreeze (58), Rio (53), paragon (50), miztacrabbypants (45), Truck (40)
Fix My Hog
Biltwell
NRHS Performance Long 2
883 Sportster

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: xl883/1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
HooliganD is on a distinguished roadHooliganD is on a distinguished road
Default Dumb question... Where to drain oil?

I have owned several bikes in the past (this is my first harley, an 02) and have never had such a dumb question, but where do I drain the oil from? I see there is a drain plug for the primary but nothing for the engine oil. Nothing on the oil tank and I tried to follow the oil lines to see if there is adrain there with no luck.

I know, get the service manual. I can't afford one right now, I was laid off in march and the cheap haynes manual I have covers everything from back to the 70s and can't make anything out in the diagrams! Why can't I access the download section, how do I obtain that privledge? Damn it, I just want something to work out!
Old 18th June 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
tensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of light

look at your swing arm. theres a rubber tube that bolts to it on the carb side. loosen the clamp and there she drains. after done put back on and fill tank. i then allways burp mine letting the air out and a bit of oil. recheck your oil and your good to go

edit to add its under up near where the arm pivots
Old 18th June 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportsters
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Oldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the rough
Default Oil Drain

The oil drain is a hose behind the engine/primary. One end goes to the oil line/tank and the other is clamped onto a stud on the frame. You get to it from the LH side. Undo the clamp, pull the hose off that stud and the oil comes out. Takes about 5 minutes for all the oil to dribble out. It is best to dump it when the oil is warm.
Old 18th June 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportsters
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Oldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the roughOldwrench is a jewel in the rough
Default Addendum

Fill the new oil filter about 2/3 to 3/4 full of oil before you spin it on. Brings up oil pressure much faster that way.
Old 18th June 2009

tensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of lighttensejed is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
Fill the new oil filter about 2/3 to 3/4 full of oil before you spin it on. Brings up oil pressure much faster that way.
yes i forgot to say that
Know Thy Hog

Old 18th June 2009

where to drain oil?,
preferably not near a stream or lake or on mother earth.

oh man thats the 60s coming out of me
Old 18th June 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Secretblend is on a distinguished roadSecretblend is on a distinguished roadSecretblend is on a distinguished road

Here are pictures of my oil change. Maybe it'll help.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=493593
Old 18th June 2009
Greasemonkey

Thanks so much folks, I saw that and wondered.
Old 18th June 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

LOL, dude, why didn't you just email me...
Old 18th June 2009
Greasemonkey

LOL, keV you were my fist thought but one, I've bugged you enough. And second I was stewing in my garage and posted this using my iPod and was hoping for an immeasuate answer.

Thanks everyone! Bike runs much quieter, for the canadians on here I used cdn tire's vtwin 20w50 dino oil.

Tomorrow I'll change the primary.

So how do I get permission to the downloads section? Do I have to show the secret stonecutter's hand shake?
Know Thy Hog