The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum GL Sportster  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
flashedwards (64), Reeky (62), feets (61), Eastern Shore XL (59), beeman07, Ironhead Zombie (43), pilot (40), Rik (40), joker13 (39), naturegirl77 (34), oliver81 (33), walkingblind
S&S Cycle
Motor Stage
DK Customs
NRHS Performance Long 2

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
flynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enough
Default 35mm Forl leg removal

I am in the process of swapping my 35 mm forks for late style 39m forks. Problem is I cannot get the 35 mm fork legs out of the trees. Read the instructions, lossened pinch bolts(actually removed them), removed top cap bolts, twisted legs, atleast tried, will not budge. Tried spreading the pinch point, nothing. About ready to fire up the torch and heat them up. Just wanted to see if i there was a better way? Thanks.

[url]http://xlforum.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=811[/url]

[IMG]http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/902/medium/Batwing_002_Medium_.jpg[/IMG]
Old 29th April 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

They are a taper fit in the top tree. Loosen the pinch bolts and loosen the caps a little bit, but do not remove them. Maybe loosen them two turns. Then get a steel hammer and a block of wood. Put the wood on top of the cap, and whack it with the hammer. That will loosen the tube from the top clamp. The taper has it stuck in there. Then remove the cap to get the tubes out of the trees completely. You leave the cap installed so you have something to hit against without damaging the top or threads of the fork tube.

--Chris
Old 29th April 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Exactly what I had to do. Tried a rubber hammer with no luck, and then resorted to a small sledge hammer and wood block. Mine hadn't been removed in 22 years, and it took a few stiff whacks to get them loose.
Old 29th April 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
flynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enoughflynhi4u will become famous soon enough

Mant thanks guys, I knew someone would know. The thought of leaving the top caps in came to me as I laid in bed trying to go to sleep last night. For all the info I get from this site I don't pay nearly enough for my membership. Hope bert doesn't read this. Thanks again guys.