The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Figure Machine  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
hardride1955 (59), 91Sportster (52), PSEBYL (51), Aussiegirl (44), FastMag (43)
Fix My Hog
Biltwell
S&S Cycle
Biltwell

CV Performance

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
hardride1955 is on a distinguished roadhardride1955 is on a distinguished roadhardride1955 is on a distinguished roadhardride1955 is on a distinguished road
Default Brake light was constantly on .....not anymore!

After the little incident of me laying my bike down while in motion....my brake light was on and wouldn't go off. Well after checking all the friggin wiring, taking it apart and checking for a possible cross over or short of some sort....I found the cause.
Apparently when I laid it down the the right brake lever mount moved just enough so that pressure was off the switch causing the light to remain on. Loosened up the lever mount, slid it back flush in proper position....low and behold....it's now working properly.
I don't know how many times I went over that right hand control and missed it...I mean come on....then yesterday I was once again trying to figure out what the deal was and I happened to see the slight gap. Just thought I'd throw this on the board just in case anyone else had similar problems. I haven't been riding as work has been impossible and I didn't want to risk getting rear ended.....

L8TR
Chris
Old 22nd June 2009
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1973
Chris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura aboutChris B. has a spectacular aura about

great find!
Old 22nd June 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

mine drove me nut's too...
when i bought my bike it had been sitting for 5yrs. i found the piston for the frt brake master cylinder was not coming out all the way. there was a little rough spot in the bore making it hang up just enough not to push on the brake switch.
Old 23rd June 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 standard/ 1200 conv
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XS650 (2) Honda XL
Other Motorcycle Year: '81
chopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the roughchopfather is a jewel in the rough

I had the same problem after my meeting with the pavement and stupid driver. I figured it out when I decided to install the apes while the bike was apart but it was puzzling at first.
Old 24th June 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
hardride1955 is on a distinguished roadhardride1955 is on a distinguished roadhardride1955 is on a distinguished roadhardride1955 is on a distinguished road

I went over that front end numerous times, trying to trace wires, looking for shorts.....then it was like a slap on the forehead....there it was.......THE GAP!, ever so slight...talk about a simple fix.....LOL
Know Thy Hog

Old 24th June 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Your scoot must be faster now without the brake on. LOL

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.