The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End
XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle - Bottom End Cams, Cases, Gears, Flywheel, Piston Conecting Rods, Oil Pump, etc...

Members Birthdays
Main Menu
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th April 2007
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Torkil has a spectacular aura aboutTorkil has a spectacular aura aboutTorkil has a spectacular aura aboutTorkil has a spectacular aura aboutTorkil has a spectacular aura aboutTorkil has a spectacular aura aboutTorkil has a spectacular aura aboutTorkil has a spectacular aura about
Default Changed cams, now what?

Hi, yesterday i putted in Andrews n4 cams, i got cycle shack slip ons and k&n filter. the tends to have way more power, sometimes. but it seriously needs rejetting. I've tried some with the mixture, but isnt that only for the under 1/2 throttle?

I got 190 main (hd international, i know that that is more than most of the guys with hardcore modified engines, but that's stock for me)
would that make me need about 200main?
Would i need a new needle or so? how about one of those kits on ebay (heard much bad about them because of the pricing)

Thanks
Old 30th April 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

What makes you think it's running lean?
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars
Old 30th April 2007
Master Mechanic

Torkil has a spectacular aura aboutTorkil has a spectacular aura aboutTorkil has a spectacular aura aboutTorkil has a spectacular aura aboutTorkil has a spectacular aura aboutTorkil has a spectacular aura aboutTorkil has a spectacular aura aboutTorkil has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
What makes you think it's running lean?
in the exhaust when letting it just roll down hills and so, especially at high rpms, and about everything else in jetting 101 it does not run smooth at all (not that any harleys does, but i mean it runs variable through rpms and throttle)
Old 30th April 2007

biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

What do your spark plugs look like?
Old 30th April 2007
Master Mechanic

hmm, they did look brown to graish. ill go look now (havent checked after installing cams ) 1min
Old 30th April 2007

I used to run those cams. They work real well. When I changed to them I didn't have to do much change to the jetting. One size bigger at the most. I was already stage one at the time.
Old 30th April 2007
Master Mechanic

Hmm, sounds good. but i havent jetted after going stage one
just dont get why my bike got 190 jet as stock, octane or fuel quality difference? Well anyway. thye look quite good. Lean wouldnt look any differnt from normal, would it?

Old 30th April 2007
Master Mechanic

not too good picture, but i would describe them as black with a gray (not from ash, but metal) "pin", where the spark goes. but this isnt accurate, i was testing it with chocke earlier, without running more than a couple of seconds. It runs a bit better with chocke too, i think.
Old 30th April 2007
Old Fart M/C Club

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/NRHS 1250 custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Bruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud ofBruce has much to be proud of

How many turns on your mixture screw, should be about 2-21/2 turns.
Member of "The Cell #2"
Sponsored Links
Old 30th April 2007
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
How many turns on your mixture screw, should be about 2-21/2 turns.
Hmm, I am actually not sure all i know is that it was stock (i had to drill it) and i added 1 turn.
anyway, isnt the screw for lower throttle?