The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Energy One Clutches  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Members Birthdays
S&S Cycle
Hammer Performance
Motor Stage
Get Lowered

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2009
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1250 XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Blast (wife's bike)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
OmegaRunner is just really niceOmegaRunner is just really niceOmegaRunner is just really niceOmegaRunner is just really niceOmegaRunner is just really niceOmegaRunner is just really niceOmegaRunner is just really niceOmegaRunner is just really niceOmegaRunner is just really niceOmegaRunner is just really niceOmegaRunner is just really nice
Default Passenger comfort

My wife and I rode from Des Moines to St. Louis to visit family this weekend and go to a the Cardinal/Twins game on Saturday. I recently bought a sundowner seat and while it is a improvement over the other two seats I own, my wife starts to have knee pain after a couple of hundred miles. She needs to be able to change positions every so often. Does anyone have any suggestions? I considered putting on passenger floor boards, but I want to get a set of leather lykes and I am concerned that they may not work together.

thanks
Old 29th June 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883L chopped & dropped
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: 1600 cc Volcan Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 05
Pork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to allPork Chop is a name known to all

i dont see why they wouldnt work together as long as the bags arent super huge

Bought and paid for!

Chop, Drop, and Roll

Tankslapper of the Heavy Horses MC
Old 3rd July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
Thundermug has disabled reputation

If she has the footpegs under the ball of her foot, that can be the reason for the knee pain. She might have her muscles tensed in an effort to keep her feet on the pegs.
Make sure she has the pegs under her arch but slightly closer to her heel.

My wife had the same problem.
Old 3rd July 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Try these. They're made by Kuryakyn, the first are mini floorboards and cost about $100, the second is what they call a dually peg and runs about $75.

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
58mm Inverted Wide Glide Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Six Piston Jaybrake Calipers
16" Carlini Apes
Old 3rd July 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XB12s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
xlch_ice is on a distinguished roadxlch_ice is on a distinguished roadxlch_ice is on a distinguished roadxlch_ice is on a distinguished road

One of these plus highway pegs will do the trick.

I'm referring to the XL, not the chic riding it.
Factory Race FUN
Know Thy Hog

Old 10th July 2009
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883/1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Old_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the roughOld_Goat57 is a jewel in the rough

First comment is based on your statement of "after a couple hundred miles" Are you stopping at least once or twice in there to let her stretch and move around?

Second, as others have suggested, footboards will likely give your wife a chance to move her feet to ease the knees from being in the same place for. My wife has had 4 knee surgeries (both knees) so we know about knee pain.

I started with the large ISO style footpegs with stirrups to give my wife a more stable footing. These worked well, but then I switched to the Kuryakyn passenger footboards shown here:

There is another forum member here that installed the same passenger footboards, only reversed, so the square edge is toward the front - I think he gained another inch or so of available foot movement, and maybe the ability for his wife to stretch her legs out and lay her heels on the front edge of the boards - that might help, too.

I hope this helps.

The nick has nothing to do with my age or farm animals...
Old 10th July 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
xlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlch_ice View Post
One of these plus highway pegs will do the trick.

I'm referring to the XL, not the chic riding it.
I'd gladly ride either.
Old 10th July 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200Lr
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell S3T
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Guzzi V7 / 11 Ducati M696
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
Bone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond reputeBone has a reputation beyond repute

Often pain like that is from holding the same position, stressed or unstressed.

If that's the case for her (and you'll know if she feels better just being able to stretch out at a stop), then I'd think you're on the right track with floorboards that allow her to move around a bit and change the position of her legs.

I think you'd be ok with the LeatherLykes but someone could always take some measurements if that would help.

Also, something else to consider is, if you don't already have em, add highway pegs for yourself and then allow her to stretch out to the mid-pegs on highway stretches. You just have to work out a signal for her so she knows to pull em back if you need quick access to the controls.
Old 10th July 2009
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Kuryakyn Switchblade pegs on my bike for both positions. I also have the hard leather bags. My wife's feet are larger than most ladies and when she has her feet on the pegs we are normally fine. Once in a while she will slide her feet forward and I get kicked in the achilles tendon when I stop and have to put my feet down. As long as she remembers to slide her feet back when stopping there should be no problems.

Here's a pic of the bike with the bags. I can get a close up when I get home showing the pegs. You will most likely need to move your turnsignals to make room.

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." -George Carlin

"So what else is on your mind besides hundred-proof women, 'n' ninety-proof whiskey, 'n' fourteen-carat gold?" Lee Marvin - "The Professionals"

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"

I wasn't selling moonshine. I was just holding a package for a man in exchange for $80 and didn't even know what was in it. - Daycare owner in Charlotte NC
Old 17th July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: Ducati
thevin70 is on a distinguished roadthevin70 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharback View Post
Try these. They're made by Kuryakyn, the first are mini floorboards and cost about $100, the second is what they call a dually peg and runs about $75.

I have the mini's,,, wife loves them compaired to the old stock ones. Check e-bay I picked mine up for like $35
Know Thy Hog