The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Superbrace  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
black pearl (70), SDREDD (53), pig (51), BonRu (49), cbass (41), ssm7530 (39), SxysCowboy (31)
Bison Motorsports
Speedway Instruments
Ironworks Magazine
Superbrace

Licks Holiday

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th April 2005
Biker

studebakerman2001 has disabled reputation
Default Stock fork length?

When I bought my 70' XLCH I was told a lot of great things about the bike from the owner on all the work that he had put into the bike over the past 20 years (it had sat for the last 10 of those years in peices, which is how I got it). Well it turns out most of what I was told about the bike is untrue. The bike is now done and looks and runs good after much work and help from you guys. So now im just looking into some things that are not quite right on the bike. I was told that the forks were longer than stock, so I was wondering what stock fork length was on a 70' XLCH so I could find out if mine are stock which I think they are. Oh and also correct fork measuring technique, like should the forks be under the weight of the bike or fully extended when I measure? thanks for all your help guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike.JPG (61.6 KB, 95 views)
Old 10th April 2005
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud ofIronMick has much to be proud of

1980, 32" from the top of the fork cap to the bottom of the pinch bolt nuts, just as it sits on the side stand. These would be stock. Not scientific? Well, if we all measure the same way it could be scientific.
Old 10th April 2005
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 1984
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1980
Fisherman is an unknown quantity at this point

Just by looking at the stance in the pic., I'd say they were 2" over. Just a guess, though...