The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum NRHS PERFORMANCE 1  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > FORUM FUNCTIONS > Introduce Yourself
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Introduce Yourself Tell us about yourself and your bike

Members Birthdays
CV Performance
Motor Stage
Foxcreek Leather
Foxcreek Leather

BIKE BUILDER

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2009
Senior Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just got my first American bike

Hey guys,
I just picked up my first American bike, a 1997 XL1200S. I've been looking for an S model for a while and am relatively happy with my find.
This bike is quite a departure for me considering I compete in new england trials and spend an additional 15 hours or so a week on the practice track on my enduro bike, but I've done the sportbike thing and my god does it not gel with me. I rode my buddies (very highly modified) sportster and decided that's what I needed.
Being a small guy at 145 lbs in race trim I focused in on the S model so I could adjust the suspension to fit my needs without spending the big $$$. Now I'm here because this bike is a 1997 and only has 5000 miles on it, and the rest of the time spent in the barn! I'm going to be enlisting your breadth of knowledge in polishing and cleaning because nearly every steel surface on this thing is slightly pitted and the wheels and aluminum are nasty nasty nasty looking. Once I get that in line (some SERIOUS elbow grease here), I'll be working my way towards a flat track conversion.

Cheers!
Old 5th July 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: 600cc CBR
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
Weo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to allWeo is a name known to all

Welcome to the forum! Me likey the S model.
Old 6th July 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 1996
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
mwheat308 is a jewel in the roughmwheat308 is a jewel in the roughmwheat308 is a jewel in the roughmwheat308 is a jewel in the roughmwheat308 is a jewel in the roughmwheat308 is a jewel in the roughmwheat308 is a jewel in the roughmwheat308 is a jewel in the roughmwheat308 is a jewel in the roughmwheat308 is a jewel in the roughmwheat308 is a jewel in the rough

Welcome
These people have saved me a lot of problems just by reading the info available.
I'm running a 96 1200S
Mike
Old 6th July 2009
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883r
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Other Motorcycle Model: cb750
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
Gojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the roughGojira is a jewel in the rough

600-800grit wet/dry is your friend,you will never get rid of the nasty looking aluminum withhout replacing it or painting it,sanding will give you a smooth surface to paint,sanding and polishing will give pretty good results to but once the aluminum is discoloured from the corrosion its pretty hard to get it to be all the same colour, it kinda gets that silver and grey cloudy look to it....just my .02$ though, some may have better results then myself....
Old 6th July 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Other Motorcycle Year: 1996
nmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud ofnmbillb has much to be proud of

Welcome from Southern New Mexico. You're gonna love that ride!
When I carry a gun, I donít do so because Iím looking for a fight, but
because Iím looking to be left alone. - Marko Kloos

XLF Road Help http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=670716

My recent accident http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...97043#poststop
Know Thy Hog

Old 6th July 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1972
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, and with your attitude I'm sure you and your "S" , will be just fine.
Old 6th July 2009
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
JackFrost71 is on a distinguished roadJackFrost71 is on a distinguished roadJackFrost71 is on a distinguished road

Hello VT (welcome from another newbie) I've had my bike for about 15 yrs and I'm constantly finding some bit or piece that needs some brightening. I use "Never-Dull" on my chrome and aluminum and it's the best I've ever found (one of the few things I learned in the Marines that won't get me arrested in "real" life.)

JF (Sean in Napa CA)
Old 7th July 2009
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C Ö long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB Ö gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Forum from the UK!

'The green machine'
Old 7th July 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi California EV
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
jharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond reputejharback has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum from sunny Italy!

Jim in Italy
'93 1200
4"Extended Jaybrake Forward Controls
Wide Wishbone Girder Front End
Super E Carb w/Forcewinder Air Cleaner
WetDreamz Pipes
Holographic Metal Flake Paint Job
Four Piston Jaybrake Calipers front & back
16" Carlini Apes