The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Members Birthdays
Wardog (65), ZeD (62), JamieSporty95 (42), JStrong (37), llsmketr, Phelan (29)
Figure Machine
Figure Machine
Zippers Performance
Bison Motorsports

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd December 2004
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: HD Sportster 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
gardkarlsen is on a distinguished roadgardkarlsen is on a distinguished road
Question Importing a Sportster from the US

Hi

This might be a bit off topic. I'm wondering how much HP (or KW) the Sportster 883 has. I need this information to be able to calculate how much it will cost to import at Sportster from the US to Norway. The Norwegian Kroner is very strong to the US dollar now and I think that I would be able to save some money on doing this. I would like to hear from other that has experience when it comes to exporting a bike from the US to Europe. How easy is it to do this? How much does it cost to get it transported over to Europe etc.
Old 2nd December 2004
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
gordy is an unknown quantity at this point

there used to be a lot of people doing this in the UK but the costs of import, tax , registration have made it not so worth while but if you can get a decent deal you could be ££££'s in
Old 2nd December 2004
Greasemonkey

Doc66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe a stock 883 runs at about 42 HP or 31.31 KW.
Old 2nd December 2004
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha XJR1300
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
sportymark is an unknown quantity at this point

At the rear wheel, I think H-D quote 51 BHP for the 04/05 at the crank.

"This man is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot"!
Old 3rd December 2004
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
DutchBoy has disabled reputation

Hi gard,

I imported an '99 XL1200C from the US this year and it has been a big hassle to get it approved for the european road.

You are correct when it comes to the kroner compared to the Dollar you would be able to get a good deal.
But.... I don't know how it is in Norway but in the Netherlands the bike has to comply to the EEG rules meaning all parts have to be stock and have to carry "E" marks on the exhausts, headlights, blinker light etc. to get your bike approved for the road. Once it is approved you can do with it whatever you want.

Make sure to check with the norwegian customs what you have to pay on import duties, what documents are required when importing and after that make sure to check what you need to do to get your license plate.

As said, for me we it was a lot of hassle and took a lot of time but in the end It was still cheaper than buying the bike directly from a local dealer and in addition to that all the time spend on it make sure you appreciate it when you are finally riding down the road .

Good luck on your quest
Know Thy Hog

Old 3rd December 2004
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 R - get away vehicle
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Rio has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc66
Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe a stock 883 runs at about 42 HP or 31.31 KW.

Sry, a stock '03 883R runs 53HP or 39KW.

Rio
Old 3rd December 2004
Greasemonkey

Doc66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rio,

Thanks for correcting me. I had a feeling I was getting the numbers mixed up with a different bike after I posted. Sorry about that Gard. Good luck with the import.
Old 4th December 2004
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

jwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura aboutjwb47 has a spectacular aura about

you should hire the swedish bikini team to greet your new sporty getting off the boat
Old 4th December 2004
Biker

Galewarning has disabled reputation

Hello Gard,
My cousin lives in Karmoy and he shipped over a '66 Thunderbird a few years ago. He avoided a bunch of taxes because it was over 30 years old. Not sure if he could help you, but if you'd like, I could get a phone number or e-mail address. Good Luck. Anskar.
Old 4th December 2004
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1218rr turbo
Sportster/Buell Year: 1993
rottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond reputerottenralph has a reputation beyond repute

I might be able to get you a 1200 for about $6500 to $7000 here in Tennessee. I have a coworker that keeps saying he wants to sell his bike and I don't think he will ask for more. It is an 01 or 02 with very low mileage. Anyone interested let me know then I will ask him for more details. It is the blue and silver paint job with a sissy bar. The rest is all stock original I believe. And by the way, I traveled around Norway for a week on my bike and visited Kritiansand, Bergen, Stavanger, Lili Hammer, oslo, and climbed Preikestolen. Great place for a bike. I think I was in Stavanger but I can't remember exactly where it is. You should have a bike. Thats quite a backdrop to a riding adventure. Beautiful every where you look. 3000 miles in 6 days. Even rode dirt roads for about a 100 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small norway3.jpg (16.7 KB, 6 views)
Spoiled but definitely not rotten. Started life as a black 1993, 1200 Now-1218, Home ported 2009 FI heads, Andrews N6 cams, Dyna2Ki, JMC aluminum swingarm, Chainsikle custom mid forward controls, GBC inverted front end, 3 degree wide-glide trees and 5 degree raked cups. 18x3.5 fatspoke rear with 150/60 and 21x3.5 with 120/70.

Last edited by rottenralph; 4th December 2004 at 21:51..
Know Thy Hog