The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum DK Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Lighting
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Members Birthdays
hawkeye (66), Rigpa (46), petersca (35)
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage
RYCA Motors
Superbrace

Superbrace

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rear Turn/Brake Light Comparison: Stock bulb vs. Jam Strait LEDs vs. Radientz LEDs

Well this may have been covered already but I took the pics...so might as well do a quick write-up on my findings.

I have a 07' Nightster that has the turn/brake/running rear light combo. One of the things I wanted to do on my sportster was go to the smoked turn signal lenses and in order to do this you need to either get red bulbs or go to red LEDs. This thread will compare the stock bulb vs. Jam Strait LEDs vs. Radients LEDs in both normal red lens covers and smoked lens cover (did not compare the normal red bulbs as I couldn't find them by me). All comparisons will show two photos which will be first the running light and then the brake lights.

First...here are the Jam Strait LEDs I bought from Autozone (believe they were about $17):
http://www.jamstrait.com/1157s.htm

And here are the Radientz LEDs info ($50):
http://www.radiantz.com/cart/index1.html?c15.html&1

So here we go. First up is the red lens covers. The left bulb is stock and the right is the Jam Strait LEDs.

Running lights:

Brake lights:

Winner: Stock bulb

Next is the stock bulb (again left side) vs. the Radientz LEDs (right side) with red lens covers:

Running lights:

Brake lights:

Winner: Radientz LEDs

Finally, using the smoked lens covers the last set of pictures is with the Jam Strait LEDs on the left and the Radientz LEDs on the right:

Running lights:

Brake lights:

Winner: Radientz LEDs

I took all the pictures from the same distance from the back of the bike and at the same height. They are not straight back because the brightness of the lights would really effect the camera. I think it is pretty clear that from these photos the Radientz LEDs were the overall winner.

Enjoy!

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
Old 16th July 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

Nice comaprison. That's what I'm talking about.
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars
Old 16th July 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Stingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura aboutStingray has a spectacular aura about

I too have a set of the Radiantz LED turns on my bike. And, I love them. They are super bright. I posted a video of them over on a thread I started. http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=540665 I was done durning the day, so you can see how bright they are in the sun. I went for a short ride with a Street Bob and Honda Shadow. And my LEDs were by far the easiest to see during the day...

I recomend them for anyone who is wanting to convert. And if you just change the rears you do not need a load equilzer...
| Changed to Low Risers & Mini Apes | Progressive front springs and 440 rears |
Old 30th July 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
AsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond repute

This was a great thread Kosmo Kramer, Thankyou for the write-up and pictures.
Old 30th July 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV View Post
This was a great thread Kosmo Kramer, Thankyou for the write-up and pictures.
Thank you and you're welcome ...glad it helped. I love the radientz LED's and feel a heck of a lot safer with them on the back. Well worth the money.

I see it is only your 3rd post, and I haven't said so already...so...welcome to the XLForum from Buffalo, NY.
Know Thy Hog

Old 30th July 2009
Banned

AsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond reputeAsSeenOnTV has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for the welcome. May I ask if you had to put a load equalizer on them? From reading through these threads, Stingray didn't need any resistance on his as he only used the LEDs for the back of his bike.
Old 30th July 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV View Post
Thankyou for the welcome. May I ask if you had to put a load equalizer on them? From reading through these threads, Stingray didn't need any resistance on his as he only used the LEDs for the back of his bike.
Short answer: No I didn't but I could. Mine is a little different of an animal. I am running the mirrors with the LEDs up front only and ditched the normal torpedo turn signals. So my system thinks a bulb is burned out. Basically it flashes normal for about 5 seconds and then flashes about twice as fast after that. Tell you the truth...I kinda like it for safety with the change in flash rate.
Old 17th August 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
MaxPower81 is on a distinguished roadMaxPower81 is on a distinguished roadMaxPower81 is on a distinguished road

Thanks to your great write up I just ordered the Radiantz for myself. Thanks Cosmo. I feel good that I can run smoked lenses for looks and also increase visibility thanks to the LEDs at the same time. Everybody wins.
Old 17th August 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower81 View Post
Thanks to your great write up I just ordered the Radiantz for myself. Thanks Cosmo. I feel good that I can run smoked lenses for looks and also increase visibility thanks to the LEDs at the same time. Everybody wins.
Max...glad it helped. Yeah, I was/still am impressed with their performance with the smoked lenses. One of my favorite mods.
Old 17th August 2009
Banned

Mr Kramer............does your LEDs free float a little bit inside the light housing, or do they fit perfect in there, and not 'raw and wiggly' as Gollum suggested?
Know Thy Hog