The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Foxcreek Leather  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
Deathbreath (65), SpartanDen, B.C. TROLL (61), JDCIV (48), d_eggman2 (46), outalne94z71 (42), troy1 (41), chupacabra (40), pirate (40), Arslanoff
Energy One Clutches
S&S Cycle
DK Customs
Figure Machine

RYCA Motors

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: BSA 650 chopper
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
madfox22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default XL shifter shaft

Am in the process of rebuilding another Ironhead motor. This is a 1979 model, which means left hand shift. By far not the 1st one I have done.
After ordering an assortment of shims and spacers for Jireh, I assemble the transmission on my work bench and get the proper spacing and clearance between the gears and the forks. I have no shifter shaft yet, but I can get my clearances and both of the shaft thrusts correct before I need the shifter shaft.
I installed and removed the transmission assembly several times before I was satisfied with the mainshaft and counter shaft thrust.
I had found a shifter shaft on Ebay for $17.00 I thought I was buying a used one, but was elated when a brand new one showed up.
I installed the shifter shaft into it's little hole in the right side case and lined the ball up so it would slip into the shifter pawl while I slide the transmission in place. The transmission went is just a short distance and stopped. Try as I may it would not go. I determined the shifter shaft was hitting the pawl housing, so I took a grinder and ground a flat spot on the shaft to clear.
Now the transmission goes all the way in, but I can't get it to smoothly run thru the gears. Removed it again, and found the arm that goes from the shifter rod to the pawl is hitting the top of the pawl. I put the pawl on the grinder and slightly round the housing so this arm will clear. Reassemble the transmission and shift thru the gears with no problem.
Before going any farther, I pickup up the primary cover to check and make sure it will go on. NOPE. The shifter shaft will not move back toward the rear of the engine to allow the bolt and dowel holes to line up. Still hitting the shifter pawl.
I am convinced this new shaft had been made in China or somewere and it is now in my junk bin and I am looking for another shaft.
Has anyone else run onto this problem ?
Old 1st October 2009
Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh1000
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph
Other Motorcycle Year: 196x
1982ironhead is on a distinguished road1982ironhead is on a distinguished road

not yet, but i do have to replace the rod your having trouble with, any brand recommendations for a new shifter rod that fits right? mine is an 82XLH
Old 2nd October 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
Yruyur is an unknown quantity at this point

I was curious if the eBay ones would work as I was on there just this morning and noticed a bunch but they were new and billet I think.
Old 2nd October 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS1000
Other Motorcycle Model: BSA 650 chopper
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
madfox22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I ended up buying a used on on Ebay, and it fit just fine, so I still don't know what the deal was with this one. It has to have a slight bend in it to clear the trans door and come out the primary. I was afraid this would throw the seal off center, so I ain't gonna use it on this project because this motor will be for sale soon and I want it to be right.
I'll use this shifter lever on one that I plan on riding for a while to make sure it will work alright.
Old 2nd October 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

Asian junk parts strike again, it sounds like to me.

Not sure if Andrews or Jims makes these parts? They do most other gearbox parts and are worth paying the extra money for.