The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
seajay, Hugh Betcha (68), jimhd89 (65), JayFL459 (65), Big Al (58), dakota_dj (57), 10walt (55), kiltbill (55), timsvalk (54), horsewriter (49), Benetampa (37)
Superbrace
Motor Stage
Energy One Clutches
Biltwell

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th July 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 2009 XL883N
slolane is on a distinguished roadslolane is on a distinguished roadslolane is on a distinguished road
Default Lowering touring/road king shocks installed on Iron 883.

This post is just to offer up yet another opinion and experience of installing these shocks on a Sporty, nothing new or groundbreaking. I have to thank everyone on this forum for their help and great posts which led me to this mod... XLFORUM rocks!

I installed the shocks last night and did a test ride this morning then two more rides today, one solo and one two up.

COST: I found used ones on eBay, if your looking just make sure you get the lowering ones if your trying to keep as close to the stock height as possible. I paid $120 but someone more patient can find a better deal.

INSTALL: Simple mod, I didn't jack the bike, I left it on the ground, took off the right first, threaded in the top 1/2 way then had a friend push the bottom bolt through as I lifted up the rear end, very easy (with 2 people) then tightened up the rest of the way. Since I'm running the upper belt guard I used 2 grade 8 hardware washers on the top and bottom (4 total) to space the right shock out as these are pretty beefy. The left side was done the same way, just without washers/spacers. I placed the right shock with the air valve facing back, I did not want to space out the left shocks so that one fit better with the air valve facing forward, works fine that way but note that with a Licks solo bag on there is little space to get to the left value now which is fine as my pump (from my mountain bike) just fits so it works for me. I also should note that I hit up Napa for 2 tank valves (NAPA #: 90-294) and some teflon tape for the valve threads.

FIT: When sitting on the bike I noticed that it sits about an inch higher now. I weigh 180lbs and with 0psi in the shocks I can sit on the bike and it moves the rear end causing just a little movement. With the stock shocks I wasn't able to do this as they were a bit more stiff.

LOOKS: I love the look... black with rubber boots that match the front fork gators... to me it's perfect.

SOLO RIDE: I first went out for a ride this morning and aimed for every pot hole, bump and speed hump I could find and was very happy with the ride. It's WAY better than stock and I recommend this for anyone considering a rear shock upgrade. I used to have to "jockey" (put weight on the pegs more) to avoid the harsh ride before and do not have to do that any more which is really nice. I did a total of 120 miles today solo and really like these shocks so far. I did notice the front end a lot more and am awaiting Progressive springs which should be here within the week to help with that.

TWO UP RIDE: I wasn't sure where to start so we guessed at 5psi per side and went for a 40 mile ride. This seemed to be a great start for 2 up (apx 310-320 total), no luggage/bags. We went over a bridge that has a pretty big bump at the end that used to bring us both off the seat, no longer is this an issue. We used to have to go over speed humps barely rolling to like maybe 5mph, tonight we were able to take them at 15mph no problem. My better 1/2 has a missing a lower disc in her back from a car accident and was finally able to relax a lot more and enjoy the ride... which means I enjoy the ride too.

Here is a pic:

Good luck, ride safe and thanks again XLFORUM!
Slolane
Old 19th July 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Looks great on the Iron! Thanks for sharing the info / pic.

If you don't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them!
Old 19th July 2009
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL883C … long gone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDB … gone!
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Good write up; thanks. Personally I'd space both shocks the same, but I don't suppose it matters.
'The green machine'
Old 19th July 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: nightster
colonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nice

i am to do same mod ..did you replace your bolts or re-use stock ones ?
Old 19th July 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 2009 XL883N
slolane is on a distinguished roadslolane is on a distinguished roadslolane is on a distinguished road

I used the stock bolts.
Know Thy Hog

Old 19th July 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200 R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
XLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud ofXLXR has much to be proud of

What part number is on the shock body? Do you know what year bike they came off of?
Ricor test rider for IAS Shocks, Intiminators and Vibranators. Works Dual Rate fork springs, fork brace, Avon Venom X tires, loosen drive belt, and set frame rails level to floor. Read the "7 Pages of Suspension" thread in the Suspension Sticky Index to learn how to fix your suspension.
Old 19th July 2009
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: nightster
colonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nicecolonelangus is just really nice

i just purchased a set off a lowered electra glide with 600 miles on them
The part number for these shock are 54661-02A
eye to eye measurement is 12".
i also purchased the 1" lowering blocks.

54656-97A/54565-97B/54965-97C are 13" eye to eye
i do beleive the difference in part number is for 1 or 2 shocks
54565-09 is 13" eye to eye same as above but for 09 models not sure what they have done different maybe valving?
when i was looking for mine i had to read up and check specs on shocks this is what i found hope this helps.
Old 21st July 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki X6 T20 Hustler
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
OCIron is on a distinguished roadOCIron is on a distinguished roadOCIron is on a distinguished roadOCIron is on a distinguished road

With the lowering shocks and the 1" lowering blocks, does it still sits 1" higher?
Old 21st July 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200N
Cosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond reputeCosmo Kramer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCIron View Post
With the lowering shocks and the 1" lowering blocks, does it still sits 1" higher?
No, it basically puts it back to stock height. The low profile shocks are 12" eye-to-eye (mine measured more like 11 3/4"...but I think they are spec'd 12"). The stock Iron/Nightster shocks are 11" long....so with a 1" lowering block you are very close to how it rolled off the assembly line.
Old 21st July 2009
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883N
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki X6 T20 Hustler
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
OCIron is on a distinguished roadOCIron is on a distinguished roadOCIron is on a distinguished roadOCIron is on a distinguished road

Perfect! I've seen some black lowering blocks somewhere but can't remember where. Any thoughts?
Know Thy Hog