The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Burly  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Members Birthdays
DaddyJay, sixshooter (67), cartoad2001 (65), Dirty Ernie (59), bri1200c (51), pquirk (48), GOTWA (45), gremlinsteve (45), lbowles2 (43), Guess (35), rnaway22es, landon283 (26)
Motor Stage
Get Lowered
Motor Stage
DK Customs

Energy One Clutches

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Miller6970 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what to look for when buying an ironhead?

i really want to get one but kept putting it off, now im finally lookin at ones i want to buy. all i need to know is some things to look out for when looking at the bike to make sure nothings wrong with it. any help would be apreciated thanks.
Old 21st July 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of lightryder rick is a glorious beacon of light

They are all old bikes and most have been through the wringer.
I look for a bike that is stock not modified. Except for bars (I hate those buck horn bars)
Lots of guys think they are "fixing up" a Sporty by modifying it, I have a different word for it (rhymes with butcher) (oooops!).
Other than that the next is rust, fork condition, wheels straight, pointing the same direction?
Then before going any farther I want to see the papers, it is best when frame numbers match the ones on paper.
Next is the little stuff, will it start, do the tires hold air, what does the chain look like, is it loose or tight, cables good, does it have the dreaded drag pipes, does the owner have all the original parts he took off it?
Is the tank rusty? I don't like alternator years. I don't like SU carbs S&S B carbs or anything big.
Disc front brakes are fabulous, disc rear not so important. I like left side shift and electric start.
Then I talk price and don't be afraid to walk away, do not let the seller control the show it's your money and there are lots of bikes to look at.
Don't buy a project if you plan on riding this year (maybe next).
Don't spend all your money, you need a emergency fund incase it shits the trans on your first ride.
Don't get caught up in the upgrade/chrome disease thing.
Ride it, it will speak to you about it's needs. Attend to it's needs before making it shiny. Do not let it sit and idle to "warm up", you will find out how much a top end costs.
Do not ride it if it is not happy, fix it then you can ride it.
Do not ride it unless you KNOW how much oil is in the primary/trans (trans is the most expensive part of an Ironhead).
If you are going to work on it buy a Genuine maunal and parts catalog.
Do not take it apart unless you have the parts you know you will need to reassemble it IN HAND (or you will surely miss riding days).
Buy a full gasket kit and replace the gaskets you use as needed.
Buy a case of oil and 4 oil filters (so you don't have an excuse for not changing the oil)
Get extra points (if equipped) and plugs, replace as needed (so you always have extras on hand). 5 min to get one off the shelf, could be hours or days even weeks to find one otherwise.
Avoid cheap Taiwan replacement parts.
Find a trustworthy mentor, discover what his vices are and keep him well supplied, follow his direction.
Don't listen to your friends whose bikes are not faster than yours and who do not own antique American Iron, it is your bike and exists to make you happy not someone else.
Do not let your friends ride your bike, a real friend will not ask. Offer it with the knowledge that you might never ride it again.

Most of all "Ride it like you stole it!"
Old 21st July 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default That should be listed as required reading for any new members...

...who DON'T own an ironhead and want to join up.
If they don't read and acknowledge Rick's excellent laundry list, they shouldn't enter.

But then again, I can't understand joining ANY ironhead-specific forum when you don't even own one.
Old 21st July 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 75 motor in Norton frame.
Other Motorcycle Model: 42WLA 45, Harton, Narley
Other Motorcycle Year: 1942
Hopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to beholdHopper is a splendid one to behold

All good advice there. The closer to stock and the less the bike has been messed with, the better. Age and miles wear these bikes out, but previous owners do far more damage.

Look for one the seller has owned for a long time. Look at his garage and workshop. If it is full of broken sh*t that has been attacked with hammers, if everything around his place looks run down, abused, neglected, broken and filthy, then his bike is probably much the same.

There is some kind of myth that great Harley mechanics operate amid chaos and mess. It is just that, a myth. A guy with a well turned out shop will usually do well turned out work. Guys who pigroot around in grunge and take no pride in their shop, 9 times out of 10 will take no pride in their work or their vehicles.
That is not to say everythng has to be immaculate - there is grease on the benches and parts lying about in every busy shop, but not sh*t that has been there 10 years or more, and not all of the tools lying on the floor all of the time.

I always look at the owner as much as I look at the vehicle, and that has always worked well for me.
Old 21st July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
80 Iron is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure this all might be great advise but you guys sound like my dad.
Know Thy Hog

Old 21st July 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of83XLX has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Iron View Post
Sure this all might be great advise but you guys sound like my dad.
Father Knows Best...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 21st July 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlc 1200 sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
daggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to alldaggar rider is a name known to all

all the parts..........

sorry, couldn't resist
Old 21st July 2009
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLS1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
Other Motorcycle Model: BSA 650 chopper
Other Motorcycle Year: 1970
madfox22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't !! Don't buy an ironhead unless you know how to work on motorcycles, and enjoy doing it. My old BSA's and triumphs were alot of trouble but I enjoyed the experience of keeping them going. I bought my Ironhead 8 years ago, it is a high maintenance bike. Not so much as the Brits, but it still requires much maintenance, espicially if you plan on riding it hard.
The inital cash you will spend on an Ironhead plus the money you will spend in the next year getting it dependable is alot more than you will spend on a EVO sportster 1200, that you can ride right now. With the economy like it is, there are lots of good buys out there.

Sorry fellow ironhead lovers, but the truth hurts. I love my ironhead.
Old 21st July 2009
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: hand built M/XL ironhead
Sportster/Buell Year: 9293
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1976 motor in a 1987 fram
Sportster/Buell Year #2: ????
Other Motorcycle Model: 1974 XL & 2003 FXD
Other Motorcycle Year: 7403
the cowboy way has disabled reputation
Default tools

tools
ya need a lot of tools
and I mean the good ones
speical tools also like the clutch spring compressor , cam cover puller , sprocket puller , the list is endless

havin the parts befor teardown is a good thing I have bought 3 basketcases & 2 complete motors , also a gasket board full of gaskets and seals when I tear into a bike I'm ready
h#$l I gotta be when building dragsters

also if ya buy it make it yours
machine shop @ home
Old 21st July 2009
Banned

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH/I.R.C. Special
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Ivan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really niceIvan RoachCoach is just really nice
Default Madfox22 and Cowboy make EXCELLENT points. An IH is not...

...a casual purchase.
It's not pushbutton-simple, has to BE MADE reliable, and requires more of your time than just an oil change and buffing.

If you're not prepared to do some heavy wrenching, don't have serious information resources (no, this place doesn't count), and a good relationship with some local shops --- an ironhead is the fast track to getting in over your head.

CTFS/QCB
Viva Los Bastardos!!!
Know Thy Hog