The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum CV Performance  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Transmission, Clutch, Primary & Secondary Drive Transmission, Clutch and primary or secondary drive problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Members Birthdays
spatial.hd, cress (56), tomheck2112 (47), Marks98Sporty (47), hdsportster71 (43), jmhurt (36), Tros (30)
Biltwell
CV Performance
Fix My Hog
Energy One Clutches

Motor Stage

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
StrokeII has disabled reputation
Default Problems in First Gear

I'm not sure if my clutch is slipping in first or what. Usually happens when the engine is cold but has happened when hot as well. Starting out in first gear, it slips and catches momentarily a couple of times, especially if trying to accelerate into traffic. All I can do is get it into second and it is fine.
I've adjusted the primary chain, the final belt, and the clutch. I use the HD Sport-Trans fluid.Any ideas what else to try? It seems to be getting worse, but other than first, it runs great. Any help/suggestion is appreciated.
Old 4th May 2007
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Hugger 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
maddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura aboutmaddog has a spectacular aura about

Did you adjust the clutch cable free-play ?

Night Train + Street Fighter= NIGHT FIGHTER

MY GALLERY

"It's just a Sportster, but I'm saving up for a Big Twin."
That's like saying...
"It's just a Corvette, but I'm saving up for a Station Wagon."

STEPHANIE FELD
HOT XL MAGAZINE
SUMMER '97

He was asked, "Why do you ride?" He considered the question carefully for a few moments. "The Lean", he replied.
Old 4th May 2007
Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda XR200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
myrl883 will become famous soon enoughmyrl883 will become famous soon enoughmyrl883 will become famous soon enoughmyrl883 will become famous soon enoughmyrl883 will become famous soon enoughmyrl883 will become famous soon enough

I have the same problem on my '91. I started a thread on it a few months back, but so far no answers. Mine used to do it one time on the first clutch engagement when cold, but it's been happening with increasing frequency. It no longer has to be cold, either.

I don't know if yours is exactly the same as mine. Mine will engage fine, then slip (badly) momentarily while accelerating in first. It ONLY happens in first gear. Sound like yours?

I hope one of us identifies the problem! I don't want to go into it blindly, but I'm planning on disassembling my clutch for a full inspection.

My first question was what the "spring plate" does, but I've learned it's function and don't see how it could be the culprit. Next question - I've heard of a compensator - what is it, and what's it do?
Old 5th May 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Dead Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
chrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nicechrishajer is just really nice

For StrokeII - my guess is you will find worn dogs on the gears inside the transmission. Fairly common in the early 2000 years prior to 2004. If it were me, I would take a good look at everything inside the primary (chain, motor sprocket nut, disassemble the clutch) and if you find nothing there, go into the transmission. When you get inside the transmission, make triple sure you check everything and know what you're looking at. A seemingly minor amount of wear on the dogs will cause it to do exactly what you're describing. You might look at the gears and think there's nothing wrong with them. Post pics when you get it out, or have a knowledgeable mechanic look everything over really well.

It makes sense to look over everything external too, like the clutch cable and adjustment and belt and belt pulleys, to make sure there are no problems there before you go into the primary.

For myrl883 - it's not as common on the 90s 5-speeds, but it still happens. I would follow the same advice.

RE: the spring plate (judder plate) - when that thing goes, it usually makes the clutch drag and makes it hard to find neutral.

Good luck.

--Chris
Old 5th May 2007
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
davidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura aboutdavidcar has a spectacular aura about

You can do an easy test to see if it is engaging 100% For the next few rides when changing to 1st gear at the lights, push on the gear level quick and firmly then let the clutch out so that the bike jolts, let the clutch out twice jolting the bike before leaving the lights and see if you still have the problem.

Old 12th May 2007
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 74",Buellized 5spd.engine
Sportster/Buell Year: 1986
Sportster/Buell Model #2: M2 Naillinized 75" engine
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT 550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1976
Xldevil has disabled reputation

I have had the same probs with my 2000 XL and my 2002 Cyclone tansmission.
I replaced 1st and 4th gears( whose dogs engage to each other) on both trannys by Andrews gears.Thanks to the trapdoor type( how could the moco stop that?) of transmission it has been an easy fix.
Never had that problem again.
Ralph

1250cc kit by RevPerf
Stage 1 heads(M-Tek),
Hydro Rev roller rockers
536 SE cams
Beryllium bronce oil pump drive gear (essential for engine┤s survival)
Cutted camcover/oilpump drive gear spy hole
adjustable pushrods/matching covers
XB rockerbox cover conversion
Race ECM
Buell race AC or Forcewinder
HSR 42,(30/170),Yost Power Tube
Buell Pro Series header/muffler
Andrews gears for 1st and 4th
Lightened engine sprocket
Energy One clutch kit
"Stenzel StŘtze", genius reinforcement bar, respectively release of front motor
mount,(essential for the survival of the front head)
Billet front motor mount(Billet 4 race).
Old 12th May 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: SPORTSTER "old boy"
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Sportster/Buell Model #2: SPORTSTER CR (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1998
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GSF 650 Bandit
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
beuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond reputebeuz has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same problem but only had to change the 1st gear sprocket on the secondary gear box tree. You have sometimes to replace the 3rd gear also...

On this pic, you can see where it's damaged :

Old 20th May 2007
franco1973

I have the same problem on my 92 sportster. Does the same thing in first gear,cold or warm.
Old 20th May 2007
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud ofcantolina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokeII View Post
I'm not sure if my clutch is slipping in first or what. Usually happens when the engine is cold but has happened when hot as well. Starting out in first gear, it slips and catches momentarily a couple of times, especially if trying to accelerate into traffic. All I can do is get it into second and it is fine.
I've adjusted the primary chain, the final belt, and the clutch. I use the HD Sport-Trans fluid.Any ideas what else to try? It seems to be getting worse, but other than first, it runs great. Any help/suggestion is appreciated.
Try adjusting your clutch?!?! (Not the cable, the clutch itself)

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 6th July 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: EVO XL deluxe
Sportster/Buell Year: 1991
Other Motorcycle Model: Shadow
Other Motorcycle Year: 1990
bwchoppers has disabled reputation

This message was very usefull, in fact I found the damage in 1st and 3rd gears but the problem now is where I can buy obviusly with better quality and prices. I waith for help, kind regards.
Know Thy Hog