The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Burly  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Members Birthdays
jdhickm (79), Chip (66), Chief4x4 (64), willyobiker (62), CBryant (61), XLCH69 (58), sage (55), VettesRule (52), jerseyjeff (52), TheExecutioner (49), SalTheWop (49), manic_mechanic, pauldmedic16 (40), BluegrassXL (36), Superman
883 Sportster
Energy One Clutches
Motor Stage
Get Lowered

Lowbrow Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
miahallen is on a distinguished roadmiahallen is on a distinguished roadmiahallen is on a distinguished roadmiahallen is on a distinguished roadmiahallen is on a distinguished road
Default intake/jets/exhaust upgrade - effect on gas milage?

I've got a bone stock '06 883C with a Kuryakyn Pro-R Hypercharger and hi-flow K&N on the way

I'd like to jet the carb, and add a SuperTrapp 2-1 exhaust system to improve performance a bit.

My question is, what is the tradeoff? Will my milage suffer? How much? Any other downsides that the upgrades will create?

Thanks!
Old 22nd July 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 06
milmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant futuremilmat1 has a brilliant future

IMO:
You should suffer very little in MPG, Because if the engine is properly tuned it will become more effiecent.
The reality though is you may loose a small amount of MPG's Simply because with it running this much better you will likely Not drive easy...!
How to Check the Diaphragm! : Diaphragm_Test
REPLACING INTAKE/CARB SEALS:Replacing Intake Seals
MAINTENANCE INFO 04-06 : HANDY REFFERENCE

My futile attempt at Blogging: http://toolstolivewith.blogspot.com/

:
Old 22nd July 2009
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

What Matt said.
www.nrhsperformance.com

Taking down the competition one Bonneville record at a time!!
Old 22nd July 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
FoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to beholdFoxsterUK is a splendid one to behold

Not disagreeing with the other guys but it depends where your tuning is coming from and where you are going to. If you start with a stock bike running lean with an AFR of around 14.5-15.5 and add cams, ignition, A/C, pipes, etc and tune the carb then you will definately see the difference in MPG. You can go from 150 miles to reserve on a 4.5G tank to about 110 miles.

I had an '05 1200R.

Last edited by FoxsterUK; 22nd July 2009 at 18:36..
Old 22nd July 2009
XL Forum Gold Supporting Vendor

Sportster/Buell Model: 07 883 X2 plus 5 Buells
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 92
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 96
Other Motorcycle Model: and 2 more!!
NRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant futureNRHS Sales has a brilliant future

You are correct. It all depends of the tune of the AFR.
Know Thy Hog

Old 22nd July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
miahallen is on a distinguished roadmiahallen is on a distinguished roadmiahallen is on a distinguished roadmiahallen is on a distinguished roadmiahallen is on a distinguished road

AFR = air/fuel ratio right??? (sorry, I'm a total rookie)

Do I need to find a Harley mechanic to adjust that? I live in northern Japan, and I don't know of an authorized factory mechanic anywhere north of Tokyo.
Old 22nd July 2009
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 0596 Black
Other Motorcycle Model: E-Glide
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
Bob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to beholdBob F is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
AFR = air/fuel ratio right?
Yep.

Quote:
Do I need to find a Harley mechanic to adjust that?
There are a lot of options for DIY tuning. There are also a few self tuning devices (black boxes) available.

Sportys tend to keep getting faster the longer you own them.