The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Motor Stage  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Members Birthdays
jenks60 (59), Hammer of God (53), billas 100th (50), sam19 (49), ivory hunter (46), cumnz (45), TJ Willy (41), SINdicated (35), XRavenX (32)
Lowbrow Customs
Superbrace.com
Motor Stage
Motor Stage

DK Customs

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: V-Star 1100
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
boogop is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 01 EVO jumping out of gear?

It's happened twice now, both time I was going down an on-ramp to the freeway and torquing it hard. Twice it's jumped out of third gear, but only when I'm really accelerating hard.

I haven't had a vehicle do this since my 1958 Chevy Apache pickup with three on the tree. Am I concerned?
Old 19th September 2009
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Sporty77 is on a distinguished roadSporty77 is on a distinguished roadSporty77 is on a distinguished road

Worn shifter forks. You could chip gears in the tranny. This problem will continue to get worse if not corrected.
Old 19th September 2009
Senior Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 89
xlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura aboutxlint89 has a spectacular aura about

It's not normal. Something will need to be addressed.

I suggest sending the trans to R&D Motorsports in Clearwater FLA. They do nice work and will show you everything that needs to be replaced, no more....
Old 28th September 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 01
Ratso-rizzo is an unknown quantity at this point

there was also an issue with the shift drum on that year and a year or two before and after. the pins in the shift drum that the detent rides on that also help it hold in gear some what come loose and then when you shift into gear it does not engage all thee way ahd jumps out of gear and that can cause more damage like bending a shift fork and wearing out the dogs on the gears.R&D is a good choice they do good work and will back-cut your gears so they engage smoother and hold better