The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum Mother Road Customs  

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Drivetrain > Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes
XLF Gallery XLF Classifieds XLF Blogs XLF Shout XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Tires, Wheels, and Brakes Discuss issues with Sportster motorcycle tires, wheels and brakes.

Members Birthdays
jojo, 5lv (66), BobbyB (60), BigBrotherWatching (52), black1200r (45), Jnomad72 (42), michigan113 (39), xl1200c (33)
NHRS Performance
Biltwell
Motor Stage
Motor Stage

Superbrace.com

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 883c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
MikeyBl is on a distinguished roadMikeyBl is on a distinguished road
Default 18" Rear Wheel/ Tire Combo

Hey All

I know this has probably been beaten to death, but i can't find anything for the life of me.

I am looking at getting an 18 X 3.5 rear spoke rim for my 2001 883c. What is the largest tire i can run with out any issues? 140/70/18? could i go up to 150?

I have heard a Duece wheel and tire will fit with now customizing its a 170? or is this only for 2004 up?

Thanks
Old 23rd July 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

I don't know what bike you've got but the biggest tire that fits under a solid mount fender comfortably is a 150. Rubber mounts have more room.

The optimum size rim for a 150 is a 4.25 width. That's what I'm running now. My tire is a 150/60 18
Completely stock except for, Branch #5 heads & 10.5:1 JE pistons, Red Shift V531 cams, S&S Super E, ThunderJet, V&H Sideshots, S&S Flywheels, Dyna 2000i, Stortz 55mm Inverted Fork, JMC Swingarm, Works Performance 12.5" Shocks, PM 4 Piston, PM wheels, 18 x 150 R tire, Custom Belt Drive Conversion, Still Has Original Nut Behind The Bars
Old 23rd July 2009
Biker

so i should try and get an 18 X 4.5 rim then?
Old 23rd July 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
biknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to beholdbiknut is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBl View Post
so i should try and get an 18 X 4.5 rim then?
That should work well for a 150, and you might squeeze a 160 under there too.
Old 23rd July 2009
Biker

would an 18 x 5 wheel fit? or is 4.5 the most you can go?

also, what is the widest tire for an 18 x 3.5? 140?

im just having a bitch of a time finding rims that arnt 500 bucks! im looking under 200
Know Thy Hog

Old 23rd July 2009
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xl1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: '04
aka_Matt is on a distinguished roadaka_Matt is on a distinguished roadaka_Matt is on a distinguished road

on an '01 bike, 18x3.5 with a 140/70, but it still may be close to the belt, and check the fender clearance at the fender strut bolts...
'04 HD XL1200C... Blue/Orange flames, Bobtail rear fender, Custom front fender, 6 spoke front wheel, Chrome everything... Rinehart 2-1, Mid-Controls, Deuce Wheel w/ 160/70x17, Ness BS, 74hp/85tq... FOR SALE
Old 24th July 2009
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Joe Dirt has disabled reputation

Here's some info: http://geocities.com/cafe_bill/cr/pages/wheels.htm It is a '95, but should apply to the '01 also.
Old 24th July 2009

XLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the roughXLFREAK is a jewel in the rough

I've always wanted to run spoked alloy wheels on my 2003 XL1200S with an 18" rear, please keep us posted if you do the conversion. Thanks, Deane
Old 24th July 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Short Chop
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1962
Blaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to allBlaze is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
I don't know what bike you've got
Yeah whats up with folks not filling out there info anyway??
We aint mind readers...hell, I'm not even sure what's on my mind most of the time..

In a world of deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of revolt.
Old 30th September 2009
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1966
parafrog74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tire size..

I talked to Kenny Buchanan at Buchanan Spoke and rim. Here is what he recommended for my bone stock '94 883 with 1200 2004 cylinders, Edlebrock head, cams and 38 mm carb/Cycle shack exhaust and Screaming Eagle ignition and aircleaner mod.

Having Talked to Kenny Buchanan and Kenny T, I wish to build the following:

18”X3.5”Chrome Spin werks rim and heavy duty spokes P/Ns below.

Offset the rear pulley by putting [supplied] 125 thou washers between pully and hub not between [check with Kenny B @ X16]

Use a 140-70 Tire with tube. This I am looking for.

Buchanan’s Spoke and Rim, Inc 626-969-4655
Ovid Holmes

Also have my original '66 XLCH, 3.25 =Dytch barrels, KHK 4&9/16 stroker, V9 cams, Gerolomy heads and shotpeened rods, 40mm DelOrto, original HD C-ratio xmission gears [$35 at stockton hd in 1969] and some other stuff I cannot remember. Weigh 410 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBl View Post
would an 18 x 5 wheel fit? or is 4.5 the most you can go?

also, what is the widest tire for an 18 x 3.5? 140?

im just having a bitch of a time finding rims that arnt 500 bucks! im looking under 200
Know Thy Hog